Windows 8 with Bootcamp Installation

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro (at student prices - at least that's somethingO:)) and it installs via download. i have dutifully noted my activation key.

I bought it so I can partition my drive via bootcamp but the file given to me by Microsoft is an .exe file and bootcamp needs an iso file to partition the drive.

I have tried microsoft forums but none of them really address this issue re: bootcamp installation so my question is: how do i get an iso image to use from the .exe file given to me by microsoft?

Thank ye, Mac gods of the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've had this problem a few years ago too. Gave up trying to use the download and purchased a retail version of Windows with a disc. Never could figure out how to install via the Microsoft downloadable installer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought it so I can partition my drive via bootcamp but the file given to me by Microsoft is an .exe file and bootcamp needs an iso file to partition the drive.

Do you have access to a Windows machine? If you do, you can create an iso from the exe file by using the Ashampoo Burning Studio free edition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you have access to a Windows machine? If you do, you can create an iso from the exe file by using the Ashampoo Burning Studio free edition.

Thank you for the awesomely quick responses! I do have access to a Windows PC. Do you have to burn the iso image to a cd or dvd, when using Ashampoo Burning Studio? I'm on a late 2013 iMac 27" without an inbuilt optical drive, and i don't have an external one - was hoping to do the USB thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll need to burn the iso to either a DVD or a flash drive depending on which Mac you have. If your Mac has an optical drive, then burn it to a DVD. No optical drive, burn it to a flash drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
I managed to figure out what you have to do, without downloading any extra software.

You need access to a Windows PC. Copy over your .exe file onto a USB and then open it up on the PC. When you open it up, or execute the file, it will ask you for your product key. Enter your key and follow the prompts. Windows will then begin downloading onto your PC, but don't freak out it won't install automatically and you won't be accidentally using up your software, which is what I was worries it would do.

You'll get to a screen that gives you installation options. Click 'Install by Creating Media' and then, if your iMac doesn't have a built in optical (cd/dvd) drive, as mine doesn't, choose the second option which is to create an ISO file. It will tell you to burn it to a DVD later, which you can do if you have an optical drive for your mac. If you don't, once the ISO file is created, you can just drag it over to a USB and then pop it back into your iMac and boom! bootcamp installation is easy as pie.

Thanks for the help everyone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for getting back to us. By the way, the Ashampoo Burning Studio is nice software especially since it's free. (In case you ever need a free Windows burning program)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.