Cut and paste file to desktop

Reaction score
When I cut a file from say documents folder in a finder window and paste it to the desktop, it always puts it in the upper left hand corner (almost totally off of the screen). This happens on my iMac and MBP running 10.8.4 and does it whether I use keyboard shortcuts, control-click, or edit menu options. It does not act this way when copying. Is there a way I can get it to place the file in the next open "slot" starting from the upper right without messing around with the sort by feature (snap to grid is ok)? Or really anywhere, but almost off the screen.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi dnbreaks

Can you just help me out here? OS X doesn't normally support "cut" and "paste"; only "copy" and "paste".

Can you just briefly take us through what exactly you do; or are you using a third party app of which there are several?

I ask because I can't replicate your actions and it would help us to help you if we understood more.

Ian

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the Desktop > Show View Options > make sure the "Sort By" is set to none.

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
IWT, Your question brings to mind that this may be an "issue" with Total Finder. That's the only app I can think of that I have that would be altering OS X in this manner. Basically all I'm doing though is in a (Total) Finder window I left click on a file to highlight it, press Cmd X, click on an open space on the desktop and press Cmd V.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi dnbreaks

I'm much clearer, thank you.

I "flirted" with TotalFinder in 10.7 (Lion) and got on great, but on 10.8 experienced what you describe and more—wrote to the company and they acknowledged this problem and said "fixes" were imminent. I uninstalled TotalFinder of my iMac running ML, but kept it on iMac running Lion. I have not yet had the courage to try it out again in 10.8.

So your problems are real, but might be soon or sooner solved with the latest updates of TotalFinder for 10.8 (ML).

Ian

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome info!! I updated to 1.4.19 (pre-release version) and it is still acting the same so I contacted TF developers as well to see if there was something I could do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.