Copying a PC based application CD

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on an issue. I've searched other forums and cannot seem to find one with this issue. I have a PC based application CD that I need to copy, but I'm not sure if I can do this on a MAC. The application is not dual platform, and will only work with a PC. Is this something I can do (if possible, without having to buy a new application), and if so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Erica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
We'll have to ask why you are copying it first, is it for a backup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes it is, but does that make a difference in whether it can be copied or not?

No, but if the CD is copy protected it does make a difference. Be sure to read our Guidelines which you can find in my signature line. Unprotected CDs and DVDs can be copied by your Mac as it doesn't matter if it's a Windows disk or Mac disk.

OP
Q
Reaction score
No, but if the CD is copy protected it does make a difference. Be sure to read our Guidelines which you can find in my signature line. Unprotected CDs and DVDs can be copied by your Mac as it doesn't matter if it's a Windows disk or Mac disk.

Thanks Chscag,

It is an application that was purchased by me that is no longer being produced. I am making a duplicate to have as a backup in the event the original is lost or damaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it does not work it will be because the software developer placed 'blockers' in the program to prevent copying as chscag has intimated. Microsoft in partiucular did this with Office etc

OP
Q
Reaction score
If it does not work it will be because the software developer placed 'blockers' in the program to prevent copying as chscag has intimated. Microsoft in partiucular did this with Office etc

Hi Harry,

I don't know if it works because I haven't tried to duplicate it. That's why I'm here. ;D It is not an operating systems disc, just a disc that is not run on the OS platform. My purpose for posting this is to find out if I can duplicate a disc that runs on the Windows platform using an OS machine, and HOW do I go about doing so. I've only started using MAC's a year ago and had a PC as well. As of a few weeks ago, my PC has stopped working, and I am unable to duplicate the disc using the PC. My concern is will the files that are native to PC's copy, and will they remain executable if copied via OS?

Thanks

P.S. I'm not attempting to do anything illegal. Even your signature suggests creating backup's. That's all I am trying to do. ;D

OP
Q
Reaction score

Sometimes I when I reread my comments/posts they sound a little rude or condescending. Please know that I am in no way trying to come off that way. I tend to be a little wordy at times, and I'm trying not to be right now. I guess in my quest to save everyone's reading time and get to the point, to myself, I sound just a little snippy. Not my intent at all. O:)

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try it and see. programs such as Toast Titanium give the option of burning for Mac and/or PC's. Was not suggesting anything underhand.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Try it and see. programs such as Toast Titanium give the option of burning for Mac and/or PC's. Was not suggesting anything underhand.

I've come across other suggestions for Toast as well. I was hoping I could duplicate without having to purchase a new application, or at least one not so expensive as Toast. I will keep that in mind in the event there is no other way. Thank you for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Toast is the only one that I know of that can burn specifically for Windows. You can try Burn (I think that's the name of it), it's cheaper than Toast, but no idea if it will do specifically for Windows.

Reaction score
If you can make a disk image of it Burn should be able to burn it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
M

MacInWin

I think what harryb2448 what trying to say about anti-copying schemes is that on some discs there is a unique track that is part of piracy security. When a copy is made, that track isn't seen because only the security system sees it, so the copy won't run. It's an accurate copy, just missing the security track. You probably won't know if that has been used until you make the copy and see if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.