where has my vram gone? :P

Reaction score
hey all, on photoshop CC it wont let me use the 3d feature (requires minimum 512mb VRAM) which i have. It says i only have 468mb usable vram. It never used to do this.

on activity monitor it shows this: http://i40.tinypic.com/s6otxz.png

is there anyway to get these numbers lower? what do they actually mean? they seem pretty high

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To the best of my knowledge Activity Monitor does not display any info regarding vram.

Questions for you:

- What computer do you have?
- How much vram does it have?
- What sort of monitor setup do you have (resolution of monitor(s)...and are you running multiple monitors)?

Larger & multiple monitors will reduce the amount of available vram for application use.

Here's a pretty interesting article explaining vram on Macintosh computers:

Does your Mac graphics card have enough video memory? | conradchavez.com | blog

Take notice that the article mentions that if you install an application called "iStat" (an application that we regularly recommend folks install looking for computer temperature info)...it will display GPU usage info.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge Activity Monitor does not display any info regarding vram.

Questions for you:

- What computer do you have?
- How much vram does it have?
- What sort of monitor setup do you have (resolution of monitor(s)...and are you running multiple monitors)?

Larger & multiple monitors will reduce the amount of available vram for application use.

Here's a pretty interesting article explaining vram on Macintosh computers:

Does your Mac graphics card have enough video memory? | conradchavez.com | blog

Take notice that the article mentions that if you install an application called "iStat" (an application that we regularly recommend folks install looking for computer temperature info)...it will display GPU usage info.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Hey, right erm i have a 2012 macbook pro 15inch
it has 512MB vram of NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
and it has 384MB vram of Intel HD Graphics 4000 (built in)

the resolution is 1440 x 900

i dont have any other monitors connected, its just the macbook screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Sounds like Photoshop needs at least 512mb of usable vram whereas your total amount is only 512mb. Seeing as how the computer needs some of that just to display the OS on the screen, it sounds like you might just be out of luck :( There's no way to have your computer up and running without using a shred of vram, at least not to my knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.