New mac, need some help

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I just got my macbook pro retina today and I really like it so far.

Now before i say anything else, i should let you know that before this mac i had never used one before and I had just used Windows.

So i need some help with a small issue.

When I leave my mac idle, the screen will dim after about 5 minutes, then after it dims, the screen will just go to sleep. After I wake the screen, it has me on my login page.

I am okay with the screen dimming, I just dont want it to go to sleep. I would prefer it goes to a screen saver.

Anyways i know this is a huge noobie question but I really don't know diddly squat about macs at all (trying to learn :D )

So if you guys could help me out that would be great!!

Thanks a bunch!

SowigAcid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go i nto System Preferences in the Applications Folder > Energy Saver and select the never sleep option.

OP
S
Reaction score
So should I uncheck "Put hard drives to sleep when possible" ?

Because that is the only thing that I can see involving disabling sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The hard drive sleep is only going to sleep the hard drive when its not in use. It has nothing to do with the entire computer sleeping.

You need to change the settings on the sliders.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 1.54.21 PM.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Go to System Preferences choose Desktop and Screen Saver then choose the Screen Saver option. A series of settings will appear.You can set the options for a screensaver quite easily.

With a screen saver in place the request for a password when you wake the screen may still appear depending upon your settings. If it does go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy. From there either uncheck the Require password option or change the interval before a password is required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.