Connecting 2 external monitors to macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I currently have an external monitor running off my 2011 macbook pro 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I would like to add a 2nd and was wondering if it was possible and what adapter I should get, if so. Thank you

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think that is going to be possible. One monitor could connect to the Thunderbolt port using an adapter which matches any of the video standards listed here.

I am not sure that port supports two external monitors simultaneously but if it does not you could use something like one of these for the second external and it should work. There are other manufacturers with similar devices if you go this route. Make sure it works with the current OS. Software which relies on OPenGL may not work on monitors connected to one of these devices.

If your needs for the second external monitor are limited ScreenRecycler might be sufficient for the second external.

Here's a review I did of one of those monitor devices. It's a few years old but should give you an idea of the issues I mentioned.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Wow, that adapter is pretty expensive at around $140 bucks. I currently connect using the thunderbolt plug, so I guess I would need something like what you are saying. Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. There are others out there and some are cheaper. At one time I saw the one I reviewed for about $75.00 but that might have been a special deal.

I assume the first external would be used as the main screen. What would the second external be used for? That's not a criticism I actually like running two externals if you have the desk space. What you will use the second external screen for will affect whether cheaper options such as ScreenRecycler are viable.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a program that wirelessly links my ipad to mac, but there is lag time. I opted to use my laptop at work so I can take work home and finish here sometimes, so I have the laptop screen with email, skype and a browser open. The 2nd screen is used for another browser and sites that my company is working on (I'm in digital marketing) and the third would be for a word document, pdf, etc so I can copy/paste into the site. I won't use the 3rd monitor all the time, but there have been some times that it would've come in handy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have another computer around ScreenRecycler might do the job. Whether there is more or less lag than what you were doing with the iPad is hard to say without testing it. I used an earlier version of the program fro a bit several years ago. I stopped using it because of the lag but in fairness to the developer most of my lag could be explained by the following:

1. I was using a G3 iBook (300 MHZ) as the basis for the extra screen.
2. I had to rely on a wireless connection at slower speeds due to some hardware issues

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I currently have an external monitor running off my 2011 macbook pro 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I would like to add a 2nd and was wondering if it was possible and what adapter I should get, if so. Thank you

Here you go..."30+ Apps for Your Muilti Monitor Setup":

30+ Apps for Your Multiple Monitor Setup | Mac.AppStorm

I'm not saying all of them will do what you want to do. But comb thru them...and maybe a couple will be of interest/use.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.