macbook pro w/retina hdmi port

Reaction score
I am on vacation with my macbook pro, I took hdmi cable to watch Netflix and other things in my hotel room. Everything is OK, besides hdmi port doesn't hold cable well and if inserted not well tv is losing signal. I went BestBuy and got thunderbolt to hdmi adapter, now whole setup looks much more robust to me, however I don't know if this way I am missing some video quality? Why is hdmi port made as such crap that it can't hold cable well?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps it's the cable you were using that was causing the contact with the video output port on your MacBook Pro not making good contact and not the video port itself. You seem to confirm that by telling us that you used an adapter (Tbolt to HDMI) and now it's working. So why do you blame your MacBook Pro?

OP
B
Reaction score
Perhaps it's the cable you were using that was causing the contact with the video output port on your MacBook Pro not making good contact and not the video port itself. You seem to confirm that by telling us that you used an adapter (Tbolt to HDMI) and now it's working. So why do you blame your MacBook Pro?

Problem is not contacts, it is hdmi port hole which is not holding cable well. Same cable works well inside tv or any other hdmi port I have. It is not firm and shaky inside, one even small move of laptop or cable and signal is lost. Try yourself and you will see what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My feeling is, you have had it in that connection on the MBP before and at some stage something has happened and the HDMI cable has been ripped out, or someone has put down pressure on it and that has damaged the connection and the firmness of the hold. And this does happen with any connection. Why do you think Apple came out with that magical magnetic adapter on the MagSafe :)
I just scoured the forums here and Apple and there isnt anyone else saying there HDMI connection is loose, bad, or whatever.
Just food for thought.

OP
B
Reaction score
My feeling is, you have had it in that connection on the MBP before and at some stage something has happened and the HDMI cable has been ripped out, or someone has put down pressure on it and that has damaged the connection and the firmness of the hold. And this does happen with any connection. Why do you think Apple came out with that magical magnetic adapter on the MagSafe :)
I just scoured the forums here and Apple and there isnt anyone else saying there HDMI connection is loose, bad, or whatever.
Just food for thought.

Again it works but cable is not firm inside of port, shaky. I don't like this and that is why I got adapter and same cable with adapter it much better setup. I could move cable around, laptop around without being worry about. I don't really use hdmi much other than travel, normally I am using airplay with apple tv, my guess same as other people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^ I understand what your saying, but im giving you a couple of reasons to why the HDMI connection is loose.
  1. Someone could of put down pressure on the HDMI cable while inserted into the rMBP
  2. The HDMI cable could of been accidently ripped from the socket of the rMBP HDMI port
  3. Or the HDMI could of been put in and out of the port for a certain number of times.

The reason i mentioned these is because i have seen this happen with a multitude of other ports on other Macs and Window PC's.
If your rMBP
Is still in warranty take it to a Genius Bar and get them to check it out, because as i have said in my earlier post, i couldnt find 1 complaint on many forums and in particular the Apple Support Forums of this being a issue with anyone.
Use the warranty if you still have it, and get them to fix it, or replace it, ask think it will be connected to the Logic Board.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While the above could and I'm sure does happen...

I have seen the same scenario with particular HDMI cables - that just do not fit tight in all inputs.
A new and better cable has taken care of the issue on all devices where I've seen this occurrence thus far.
I've not been able to visually tell the difference between the plug on one cable that fits tight and one that is loose in the same port.

Wouldn't hesitate to take it in to Apple if you're under warranty and concerned about it.
Pretty sure they'll have some cables they can try to see if it is all cables or only the one you have.

OP
B
Reaction score
While the above could and I'm sure does happen...

I have seen the same scenario with particular HDMI cables - that just do not fit tight in all inputs.
A new and better cable has taken care of the issue on all devices where I've seen this occurrence thus far.
I've not been able to visually tell the difference between the plug on one cable that fits tight and one that is loose in the same port.

Wouldn't hesitate to take it in to Apple if you're under warranty and concerned about it.
Pretty sure they'll have some cables they can try to see if it is all cables or only the one you have.

That is why I don't think it is cable issue - cable fits fine into apple made thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and ipad to hdmi adapter, it fits pretty tight into tv's, it fits fine into Sony laptop.
Again it is working, it is just shaky inside of macbook pro port. Port should be designed to hold cable with spring like metal frame around. It doesn't, it is just a hole inside aluminum made body, larger than it needs to be besides.

Anyway, I am fine with adapter, works fine and I am not worry to move my macbook around or change cable position.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And why I am only adding to the conversation, I have seen exactly what you are seeing on multiple brands of A/V receivers, satellite receivers, PS3s and TVs. On all of these devices, I've seen it where one cable fits loose that seems to fit snug everywhere (or mostly everywhere) else, yet other cables do indeed work and hold tight where that one didn't.

If you believe it is the Mac that will not hold any HDMI cable snug in the port, would encourage you to take it in to Apple while it is still under warranty.

You never know, some time down the road you may have need of connecting it to multiple exterior monitors and need that HDMI port. Better to get it taken care of now.

OP
B
Reaction score
And why I am only adding to the conversation, I have seen exactly what you are seeing on multiple brands of A/V receivers, satellite receivers, PS3s and TVs. On all of these devices, I've seen it where one cable fits loose that seems to fit snug everywhere (or mostly everywhere) else, yet other cables do indeed work and hold tight where that one didn't.

If you believe it is the Mac that will not hold any HDMI cable snug in the port, would encourage you to take it in to Apple while it is still under warranty.

You never know, some time down the road you may have need of connecting it to multiple exterior monitors and need that HDMI port. Better to get it taken care of now.

If you read my initial post I am actually asking something :), I don't care about this port much anymore since I am using thunderbolt adapter. Question is - will it be anyhow different to hdmi port in terms of video/audio quality. I am in hotel and tv here is low end cheapo 32 inch phillips, I see no difference.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
The same.

That is why I don't think it is cable issue - cable fits fine into apple made thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and ipad to hdmi adapter, it fits pretty tight into tv's, it fits fine into Sony laptop.
Again it is working, it is just shaky inside of macbook pro port. Port should be designed to hold cable with spring like metal frame around. It doesn't, it is just a hole inside aluminum made body, larger than it needs to be besides.

Anyway, I am fine with adapter, works fine and I am not worry to move my macbook around or change cable position.

I've got exactly same problem, its just the outlet of HDMI where cable is hold is machined wrong and too wide, it should be more narrow from all sides, its just too shakey when you plug in the cable, I do project video onto my JVC X500R projector and signal is lost so easy as cable moves to different direction once you take the laptop on your knees, its just not reliable, very poor for apple, the design is a bit wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.