From 10.5.8 to 10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello all,

It's simple enough, I can still buy the disc from Apple (only £14 in the UK - bargain!)

So, I'm looking for all my old discs, so I can re-install Final Cut Express and Micro$oft Word etc etc. As you might guess, finding some, missing others.

These programs are pretty full of data/video etc..
Is there any way that I can use back-up/Time Machine to put these programs onto 10.6, if the discs don't turn up? I do have a record of all product keys, they were all legally purchased discs.

I know it's a long-shot, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, CB

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you don't have all of your original discs and can't bare to lose your data. First back it up (either to Time Machine or SuperDuper), then rather than doing a clean install of 10.6 Snow Leopard, just upgrade to it from Leopard 10.5.8.

That way, all of your data is intact..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Cowbrain, let us know how the mOOOOve went. ;)

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Raz0rEdge. Nice to know. I'll give that a go. One of the FCE discs has turned up - but that's all. May pop back for a double check on method, when I get round to it. Thanks.

Will do, toMACash. Got to burn a few DVDs from some material on Final Cut, before I make the shift. But will let you know how it goes, when it goes. Thanks.

(PS. Before I logged in, I saw "THANKS" buttons on the posts - now they've disappeared. Did I imagine this?)

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't have all of your original discs and can't bare to lose your data. First back it up (either to Time Machine or SuperDuper), then rather than doing a clean install of 10.6 Snow Leopard, just upgrade to it from Leopard 10.5.8.

That way, all of your data is intact..

Thanks, Raz0rEdge.
Disc is here - but that option doesn't seem available?
Install is my only option.
If I start the install, is there a stage where I am given the option to upgrade, rather than full install?

Thanks, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try this method cowbrain. Get an external drive and make a clone of your mac's internal drive onto the external using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper.

Boot your Mac from this external drive and then install Snow Leopard onto it. When your happy that all your Applications are there and working OK, then you can reboot your Mac from the internal drive and then either clone back from the external to the internal, or just go for it and install Snow Leopard on your internal drive(quicker),safe in the knowledge that you have the clone as a backup.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, MightyGem.
That sounds excellent.

I'm putting off the install, while I have one last look around for my original discs (for Final Cut and Word for Mac)
If I can find these, then I'd be prepared to do a full install and then install FCE and WfM.
All the other data is already backed up with Time Machine on an external hdd.
If I don't find the discs, then I'm going to give your suggestion a go.

Thanks, again. It's much appreciated.
All the best, CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do have a record of all product keys, they were all legally purchased discs.

If you can't find your original disks but have the product keys, just look for a trial version of the software, download it, and then apply your product key to the trial version to make it legal. I know you can do that with Mac Word at least.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't find your original disks but have the product keys, just look for a trial version of the software, download it, and then apply your product key to the trial version to make it legal. I know you can do that with Mac Word at least.

Thanks, chscag. That's excellent thinking.
Yes, I have the product keys.

I've found the FCE discs, so it's just the Word disc that's missing.

Between your suggestion and MightyGem's idea, I feel about ready to go.
Busy today, but may get the time to stick it on tonight.

Thanks again for all your help.
Deeply indebted.
All the best, CS

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, well, well.
it now seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

I put the 10.6 disc in. Clicked the full install button. Took a couple of hours. Installed 10.6 - and kept everything! Didn't even have to install FCE and Word. They were already there for me, full of my current projects. Even the trash bin has it's old contents! (Must remember to take out the trash)
Updated to 10.6.8 and everything seems to be running perfectly.
(Except Safari is a bit wild and carefree and slow)
Unbelievably easy!

Thanks for all the help and advice from you all.
I wouldn't have done it without you.
Best regards, CB

Edited to add: Swapped from Safari to Chrome and it's all running nice and sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.