Free SQL application for Mac

Reaction score
I'm looking for a program to run SQL queries that is compatible for Mac OS X. Ideally I would like this to be free but I'm not sure that is possible.

I don't want or need to host a server (ie. I want it to work offline), I just want to import tables and query them myself. Most of the ones seem to need an online server.

Basically I'm looking for an equivalent to Oracle SQL Plus.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could use the database component of LibreOffice - it's free, it's offline capable and it let's you execute SQL commands.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The other alternative is to use SQLite a file based database. It's meant (and designed) for off-line use and all you need is the DB file you create to move you database around..

There are many GUI's you can use to manage your SQL commands if you don't want to use the command line (/usr/bin/sqlite3) interface like RazorSQL..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Raz0r's solution is probably a much better one - it's lighter and pure SQL. Go with that one instead.

OP
K
Reaction score
The other alternative is to use SQLite a file based database. It's meant (and designed) for off-line use and all you need is the DB file you create to move you database around..

There are many GUI's you can use to manage your SQL commands if you don't want to use the command line (/usr/bin/sqlite3) interface like RazorSQL..

Thanks for that! Very helpful :)

I thought RazorSQL costs money after a 30 day evaluation period.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks for that! Very helpful :)

I thought RazorSQL costs money after a 30 day evaluation period.

Perhaps it does, I didn't look too closely. I'm sure there are other UIs if you wanted to go that route..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.