All new e-mails go to Junk folder

Reaction score
Thunderbird 17.0.8
Mac OS X 10.7.5

I wanted to create a filter so a particular e-mail that was continuously being sent to me would go to the Junk folder, not my Inbox.
I did something wrong. I didn't make a filter for just that unwanted e-mail. I did something that is causing ALL my new e-mails to go to the Junk Folder. I don't know what error I made, so I don't know how to fix it. Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you just remove the filter?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thunderbird fresh out the install tends to do that here on every system I have installed it on. I had to make sure and mark everything not junk a few times and it fixed it. Not sure if that is your issue or not but it's happened way too many times here.

OP
K
Reaction score
I deleted every filter I have. Then I am asked if I want to delete each filter, and I reply delete. They then are actually deleted. Next time I download new messages they all go to Junk, not Inbox. I closed Thunderbird and reopened it in case that was the problem. ALL of the filters I had deleted were back again and enabled. My new e-mails were coming into Junk Folder again. What can I do, please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think what's happening is you're not opening your Account settings under tools and saving the changes you made by removing the filters. Thunderbird Mail and News accounts will retain previous settings unless you save the changes. Thunderbird settings can be confusing and I too have had problems with them.

I currently only use Thunderbird as a Newsreader and to reply to NNTP forums as that's where it really shines. If possible, consider switching to Mac Mail which is easier to use and control.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on. It seems to be fixed. I deleted all the filters, went to tools, saved the changes, and everything still went to Junk. I indicated that all the new Junk e-mails were not Junk and they were moved automatically to the In box. There I said I wanted to create a filter for the message. I set up a filter saying the message was to be sent to In box. I did this for about 5 messages of about 40. Thereafter, All new messages are now going to In boxes properly. I don't know what fixed it. I just hope it is permanent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.