Build my iMac for school

Reaction score
Hey guys my old dell just crashed on me and I'm thinking its time to switch over to apple. I'm debating on which iMac to get and what additions to add in terms of memory and type of drive.Ill be using the iMac for school, online classes, downloading music, browsing Internet, and watching movies. I don't want to spend anything above 1800.Any suggestions whatsoever will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 27" iMac with standard features should be OK for what you need it for. Don't order extra memory from Apple since they charge a premium price. The 27" iMac can easily be upgraded with more memory and it's much less expensive from third party suppliers like Crucial or Other World Computing.

Take note that the CPU or Graphics Processor can not be upgraded so if you need more power, decide on that before you buy. Also, replacing the hard drive in an iMac is a difficult task and procedure, so again, order what you need ahead of time.

I do not recommend purchasing any model of the 21.5" iMac because the machine is not user upgradeable and I believe overpriced for what you get.

OP
P
Reaction score
The 27" iMac with standard features should be OK for what you need it for. Don't order extra memory from Apple since they charge a premium price. The 27" iMac can easily be upgraded with more memory and it's much less expensive from third party suppliers like Crucial or Other World Computing.

Take note that the CPU or Graphics Processor can not be upgraded so if you need more power, decide on that before you buy. Also, replacing the hard drive in an iMac is a difficult task and procedure, so again, order what you need ahead of time.

I do not recommend purchasing any model of the 21.5" iMac because the machine is not user upgradeable and I believe overpriced for what you get.

Thanks do you think a 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm will be enough or should I switch to a fusion drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have any experience with the Fusion drive as they're fairly new. We do have several members who have them in their new iMacs and say they're very pleased with the drive. It does cost extra, however. Personally, I would spend the extra dollars on ordering a better CPU and GPU.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally, I would spend the extra dollars on ordering a better CPU and GPU.

That would be my first choice as well.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

If your budget can include the Fusion option, do it. The speed difference is TREMENDOUS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.