Internet Tethering between Devices.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer internet FROM my computer TO my iPad, not the other way around. I just moved and one of my neighbors has unprotected internet connection and TimeWarner Cable isn't going to connect me until a few days. The iPad Mini's antenna is not as strong as the Mac so it is not able to find the network across the street. Is there a way that i can transfer the wifi im connected to from the computer to the ipad using a cable or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Is that ethical...or legal even? Unless I am competely misinterpreting what you are asking, I don't think you will get much help on this forum with unethical or illegal activities.

OP
Alex1497
Reaction score
I do have his permission for the moment so i would think so :)

OP
Alex1497
Reaction score
Dogbreath, i think u might be missing the point. No rudeness. I have his permission even though it is unprotected. I dont think its illegal to connect to an unsecure wifi connection, but i dont know for sure. But all of this does not matter since i have his permission and as a kind act i will remind him to lock his internet when i have the chance to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Then may I offer my most humble and sincerest apology. I did not know the whole story and therefore I should have asked before I assumed the worst. I apologize...Hopefully someone will be able to assist you with your quest.

But I must point out that I didn't "miss the point"...the point that you had permission was never revealed.

OP
Alex1497
Reaction score
Then may I offer my most humble and sincerest apology. I did not know the whole story and therefore I should have asked before I assumed the worst. I apologize...Hopefully someone will be able to assist you with your quest.

But I must point out that I didn't "miss the point"...the point that you had permission was never revealed.

I was not offended, thank you for your apology but i could see how the question was a bit awkward for the site. I guess no one helped me out hahaha but its alright, im already connected now and it was really just a quick question to see if it was possible. Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alex... So we're good. I'm glad you're connected and hopefully everything is working like it should. Happy computing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It is possible to share internet connections, but I don't think you can do it how you asked. You can share an ethernet connection over wifi, and share a wifi connection over ethernet, but don't think you can share a wifi connection over wifi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.