Deleted disk utility, cant reinstall

Reaction score
In short, clean my mac decide to delete a whole bunch of things IT SHOULDN'T HAVE and now I have a hard drive i need to format and CANT because one of those programs was DISK UTILITY. I updated to 10.8.4 and that did not solve the problem. I cannot find my mac disk, and I have tried using pacifist to reinstall the packets to no avail. Any other ideas?

My windows hard drive is still working, is there any way I can format a Hard drive for MAC use FROM windows?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
HAve you tried Booting into the recovery Partition and using Disk Utility there ?? Hold down ⌘R on restart and boot to the recovery Partition, then follow the prompts until your in Utilities and you will find Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and take it from there.

I find it bizarre that you deleted Disk Utility as you would of got "This Application is used by the OS and cant be Deleted" Error.
The only way for that to be done is to change permissions of the App, and a Admin Password.

HTH

OP
Y
Reaction score
Its crazy. Also deleted Terminal and a few others.

I cannot reboot into recovery either. I think im just going to have to find the usb and reformat

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't really need to run programs like CleanMyMac and it's kin to do any sort of clean up (especially by removing system applications)..You might want to look into OnyX just to clear up some caches and stuff..that's all the maintenance you need..

The Recovery Console (and why exactly can't you get back into it?) would just allow you to run Disk Utility from there, it wouldn't restore it on your installation..

Looks like a re-install is in order for you to get back the system apps..

Reaction score
Just curious: would it be possible to drop to Terminal in Recovery mode and cp Disk Utility from the recovery partition to the regular partition?

Edit: In case anyone's interested, it is possible. Tried it today, worked fine. Question is, is it the same version as in the last update? Forgot to look at that before I deleted it. Also need to use cp -r since the app is really a directory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.