Audio-DVD-BD Burning Software - Needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All,

I recently transitioned to Apple computers in the spring from nearly 3 decades w/ PCs - I've always used Roxio CD/DVD burning software on the PCs - NOW, I'm wondering whether I really need software anymore for this purpose (just been reviewing the Roxio Toast 11 Titanium software HERE) - in the last few months, I've ripped some of my CDs to my MBP to put on an iPod & have purchased some MP3 music and burned to a CD-R to play on my various CD players - BUT all of this was done w/ the OS X on the laptop.

I really do not have a big need for DVD/BD burning (although I own hundreds of these discs) - SO, my bottom line (and probably being asked by many in these current days of streaming), is whether this burning software is really needed now? I would appreciate some comments from those still using this not inexpensive software - still valid today? For what specific reasons? Can these purposes be resolved w/ other 'streaming' options? Thanks for any suggestions - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is a bit like, How long is a piece of string.

IMHO as long as there is those shiny disc's hanging around, there will always be a need for it for some people. For me, no, so i decided to remove my Optical Drive and insert a 256 OWC 6G SSD, but i still have a enclosure for the Superdrive that works still. I use the cheap actually free Burn for my burning needs, but this is a open ended question :p

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a bit like, How long is a piece of string.

IMHO as long as there is those shiny disc's hanging around, there will always be a need for it for some people. For me, no, so i decided to remove my Optical Drive and insert a 256 OWC 6G SSD, but i still have a enclosure for the Superdrive that works still. I use the cheap actually free Burn for my burning needs, but this is a open ended question :p

Hi TMac - thanks for your comments - well, I'm 'thinking out loud' which makes this an 'open ended' question - just wondering what others may be doing - I'll take a look at Burn and hope others may offer additional thoughts & options - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
RadDave . . . If you will be working with movies, videos, music files that may need converting formats and/or editing, you Toast will serve you well. For just simple transfers and routine burning, iTunes, Burn, or just OSX will be just fine.
Something to chew on...computers are evolving away from optical media and drives. Yes, they will be around for a bit longer...but hey, you can still buy VCR players! I would look at transfering files to alternate media, ext hhd's , or iDevices...if nothing else, for back up. Just my $00.02 worth.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave . . . If you will be working with movies, videos, music files that may need converting formats and/or editing, you Toast will serve you well. For just simple transfers and routine burning, iTunes, Burn, or just OSX will be just fine.
Something to chew on...computers are evolving away from optical media and drives. Yes, they will be around for a bit longer...but hey, you can still buy VCR players! I would look at transfering files to alternate media, ext hhd's , or iDevices...if nothing else, for back up. Just my $00.02 worth.

Thanks DB - I'm retired now & 'in transition' - own 6K CDs and 1.5K video discs - I rip music to my iPod for my travel needs mainly and night time listening - I really have no need to put all of this optical information onto a hard drive (NOR the time - much better things to do) - believe that I'll stick to iTunes & OS X - and take a look @ Burn - Roxio & its siblings are not likely in my future - thanks again for the input! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.