My mac is slow

Reaction score
My Mac is a bit slow and i cant play online games without lagging. Ive Repair disk permissions, system is up to date, i only have one start up program. Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 12.57.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 1.02.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 1.04.11 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We can eliminate some of the usual culprits such as OS updates since I doubt jumping to 10.8.4 would see much of an improvement for most games. My next question would be what games are playing well and which ones are not?

Some games place more stress on the speed of the network connection than others (Second Life) for example. Many games stress both the graphics and CPU systems (WoW for example).

Also can you describe the kinds of slowdowns you are seeing?

BTW which Mac are we discussing here? Some Macs have integrated graphics cards which, in general, do not do as well as machines with dedicated graphics cards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well online flash games seem to be fine, but i tried playing runescape 3 and it lagged on even the lowest graphic settings. League of Legends froze on me....on the tutorial. :\
The slowness i experience are: Mouse teleports sometimes, the beach ball appears from time to time, when i open firefox and decide to browse the web, the page seems to take long to load.

OP
K
Reaction score
We can eliminate some of the usual culprits such as OS updates since I doubt jumping to 10.8.4 would see much of an improvement for most games. My next question would be what games are playing well and which ones are not?

Some games place more stress on the speed of the network connection than others (Second Life) for example. Many games stress both the graphics and CPU systems (WoW for example).

Also can you describe the kinds of slowdowns you are seeing?

BTW which Mac are we discussing here? Some Macs have integrated graphics cards which, in general, do not do as well as machines with dedicated graphics cards.

I have 2012 macbook pro

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not much of a gamer so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. From what I can determine there were three different graphics options for that Mac (Intel 4000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M w 512 MB and a 650M with 1 GB). Some of these are listed as boards that are integrated into the logic board. As a general rule integrated graphics boards do not perform as well as similar machines with separate graphics boards.

Do you know which graphics options your machine has? Try going to About This Mac under the Apple Menu and choose More Info and post the results.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Photo #1 in your first post tells the whole story. The little window at the bottom (with all of the red in it) shows that something is using up a lot of cpu resources.

You need to go to Activity Monitor (as you already have)...select "All Processes" (not "My Process's" which is selected in the photo) from the drop down menu in the Activity Monitor window. Then look thru the list of process's to see what application or applications are using up so much cpu resources. Then quit those applications.

Let us know what you find.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice catch Nick. I saw that but missed the implication that something was eating CPU time.:[:[ Another screw up like that and someone will want to kick me out of the MoTM gang.

OP
K
Reaction score
Photo #1 in your first post tells the whole story. The little window at the bottom (with all of the red in it) shows that something is using up a lot of cpu resources.

You need to go to Activity Monitor (as you already have)...select "All Processes" (not "My Process's" which is selected in the photo) from the drop down menu in the Activity Monitor window. Then look thru the list of process's to see what application or applications are using up so much cpu resources. Then quit those applications.

Let us know what you find.

- Nick

This is what i found.
Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 2.31.11 PM.png

OP
K
Reaction score
i'm not much of a gamer so take what i am about to say with a grain of salt. From what i can determine there were three different graphics options for that mac (intel 4000, nvidia geforce gt 650m w 512 mb and a 650m with 1 gb). Some of these are listed as boards that are integrated into the logic board. As a general rule integrated graphics boards do not perform as well as similar machines with separate graphics boards.

Do you know which graphics options your machine has? Try going to about this mac under the apple menu and choose more info and post the results.

Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 2.29.41 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the screenshot about the graphics. Given your answer to Nicks's question I think we can put that aside for the moment and focus on why kernel_task is using over 300% of CPU power.

I had to do a little research to remind myself what that task covers. Not only does it cover a variety of basic operations it can be called by other operations/kernel extensions. You might give Kernel_task process taking up an inordinate amount of CPU a quick read. It lists several good troubleshooting steps.

What software (including things which launch as login items) is usually running when this happens? Thinking back to before you noticed the problem have you added new software/hardware since then?

Try creating a new user account on the Mac and see if that clears things up a bit. If so it suggests that something in your current user account is the culprit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What software (including things which launch as login items) is usually running when this happens? Thinking back to before you noticed the problem have you added new software/hardware since then?

Try creating a new user account on the Mac and see if that clears things up a bit. If so it suggests that something in your current user account is the culprit.

Two great suggestions!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot about the graphics. Given your answer to Nicks's question I think we can put that aside for the moment and focus on why kernel_task is using over 300% of CPU power.

I had to do a little research to remind myself what that task covers. Not only does it cover a variety of basic operations it can be called by other operations/kernel extensions. You might give Kernel_task process taking up an inordinate amount of CPU a quick read. It lists several good troubleshooting steps.

Well actually i factory restored this macbook and its been happen before and after. I usually only webbrowse on firefox since its too slow to do anything else and thank you very much

OP
K
Reaction score
As you can see...the "Kernel Task" is taking up 336%...which is certainly slowing things down.

1. Have you tried rebooting the computer?
2. Do you have any 3rd party "OS customization" programs installed?
3. Do you have any external devices connected to this computer?
4. Try an SMC and PRAM reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
About NVRAM and PRAM

- Nick

By rebooting, do you mean restarting? cause the same thing always happens
when restart, i only have "cpu speed accelerator" as a login progam. I don have any external devices or 3rd party customization progams.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By rebooting, do you mean restarting? cause the same thing always happens
when restart, i only have "cpu speed accelerator" as a login progam. I don have any external devices or 3rd party customization progams.

Yes...rebooting/restarting...same thing.:)

That "cpu speed accelerator" program IS a 3rd party program. A 3rd party program is a program not developed by the original vendor (Apple in this case). I'm not sure what this program does...but I'm pretty darn sure it is not needed. I would turn it off if possible...or uninstall it.

After doing this...restart the computer...and see if things get better.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a friend with Windows who LOVED to use so called CPU Accelerator apps. He always had slow downs. Uninstall that thing and see if that makes a difference. There is NO reason to use that on your Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes...rebooting/restarting...same thing.:)

That "cpu speed accelerator" program IS a 3rd party program. A 3rd party program is a program not developed by the original vendor (Apple in this case). I'm not sure what this program does...but I'm pretty darn sure it is not needed. I would turn it off if possible...or uninstall it.

After doing this...restart the computer...and see if things get better.

- Nick

okay , so after doing the PRAM and SMC reset nothin has changed. The Kernel_task is at 300. i had also deleted that 3rd party program. So what now? is This impossible to fix?
am i suck with a slow *** mac?:'(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did I see you say earlier you did a total reinstall and it's still at 300+??

OP
K
Reaction score
I have a friend with Windows who LOVED to use so called CPU Accelerator apps. He always had slow downs. Uninstall that thing and see if that makes a difference. There is NO reason to use that on your Mac.

I did uninstall it. and no change

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.