My mac is slow

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you had a chance to try logging in under a new user account. Simply create the account, reboot , and try running some tasks from there. Don't install any login items. How does the machine perform then?

How didi you uninstall it? I have been trying to track down instructions just in case something was left behind. Many program like this will leave bits and pieces running in the background if you simply drag them to the trash and delete them.

OP
K
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to try logging in under a new user account. Simply create the account, reboot , and try running some tasks from there. Don't install any login items. How does the machine perform then?

How didi you uninstall it? I have been trying to track down instructions just in case something was left behind. Many program like this will leave bits and pieces running in the background if you simply drag them to the trash and delete them.

The new account was just as bad and I uninstalled it by dragging any or all files related to the program xD I only got the "Cpu speed accelerator" because of the kernal_task

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So if you install a completely new OSX, The Kernel right out of the install is 300+ CPU?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only got the "Cpu speed accelerator" because of the kernal_task

Do you mean that the kernel_task numbers were that high (or near that) before installing CPU Speed Accelerator?

Unless I looked up the wrong program their site says the program can be uninstalled by dragging it to the trash as you did. I just can't shake the feeling that there isn't some low level extension or other file that got left behind.

Bear with us in figuring this out. If you are not running games and anything more than web browsing produces the numbers in that screenshot something is definitely out of whack.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you mean that the kernel_task numbers were that high (or near that) before installing CPU Speed Accelerator?

Unless I looked up the wrong program their site says the program can be uninstalled by dragging it to the trash as you did. I just can't shake the feeling that there isn't some low level extension or other file that got left behind.

Bear with us in figuring this out. If you are not running games and anything more than web browsing produces the numbers in that screenshot something is definitely out of whack.

Yeah the kernel_task numbers were pretty much the same before the cpu speed accelerator. I only web browse because anything else laggs too much. Should i go to apple about this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, could a bad/failing drive be contributing to the problem here? Kinda doubt it would be that big a problem but worth asking the question.

@KushDragon when you did the clean install was the OS a download from the Apple store or was it "cloned" from another Mac / earlier installation?

I'd certainly think about a trip to them. Do you have any AppleCare left?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
yeah -_-
should i go to apple?

Here's one more thought...

Initially we've been focusing on software/OS related issues that could be causing the excessive cpu drain (kernel task). We've explored quite a bit...with no solutions. It's possible that it's a hardware issue.

I purchased a used 2010 MacBook Pro (MBP) about a year+ ago...and I had the exact same issue (kernel task using way too much cpu resources). I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread...and I also could not find a solution.

The one problem/symptom that my MBP had that was wasn't mentioned so far in this thread...was the fan on my MBP was always running at top speed (very loud). I ended up taking it to the Apple Store (it luckily still had Applecare remaining on it)...and the problem turned out to be a defective fan (which Apple replaced).

So given everything that we've tried so far...it may turn out that you have a hardware problem...and if it is a hardware problem...heading to the Apple Store to have it diagnosed might be a good next step.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Here's one more thought...

Initially we've been focusing on software/OS related issues that could be causing the excessive cpu drain (kernel task). We've explored quite a bit...with no solutions. It's possible that it's a hardware issue.

I purchased a used 2010 MacBook Pro (MBP) about a year+ ago...and I had the exact same issue (kernel task using way too much cpu resources). I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread...and I also could not find a solution.

The one problem/symptom that my MBP had that was wasn't mentioned so far in this thread...was the fan on my MBP was always running at top speed (very loud). I ended up taking it to the Apple Store (it luckily still had Applecare remaining on it)...and the problem turned out to be a defective fan (which Apple replaced).

So given everything that we've tried so far...it may turn out that you have a hardware problem...and if it is a hardware problem...heading to the Apple Store to have it diagnosed might be a good next step.:)

- Nick

Yeah I've research this Kernel_task problem and they all mostly seem hardware related. Unfortunately, i dont have applecare. Would They still replace the parts? Ive actually never went to apple about a macbok problem. I also dont think its my fan, because its isnt at all loud.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would They still replace the parts? Ive actually never went to apple about a macbok problem.

Sure the Apple folks will replace the part/parts...you'll just get charged for it since you don't have Applecare remaining. Of course they will diagnose it first...find out what is wrong (or what they think is wrong)...then give you an estimate on what it's going to cost. Then you decide.

I also dont think its my fan, because its isnt at all loud.

I only mentioned my fan issue as a example. I'm sure there are multiple hardware issues that can cause this kernel task problem.

If you do head to Apple to have things checked...please let us know how things turn out. I'm curious...and would like to see what they come up with.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, i dont have applecare. /QUOTE]

If that machine is from 2012 it may or may not have some AppleCare left depending upon when it was purchased in 2012. Enter the serial number (About This Mac > More Info) into this page.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sure the Apple folks will replace the part/parts...you'll just get charged for it since you don't have Applecare remaining. Of course they will diagnose it first...find out what is wrong (or what they think is wrong)...then give you an estimate on what it's going to cost. Then you decide.

I only mentioned my fan issue as a example. I'm sure there are multiple hardware issues that can cause this kernel task problem.

If you do head to Apple to have things checked...please let us know how things turn out. I'm curious...and would like to see what they come up with.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Alright, Well Thank you very much for your time and help , honestly I really appreciate it ! :DD I will let you know what the cause was.

@slydude Thank you too for helping

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, Well Thank you very much for your time and help , honestly I really appreciate it ! :DD I will let you know what the cause was.

Thanks...good luck!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

@slydude Thank you too for helping
You're welcome. Hopefully you will get lucky and the fix will be something simple.

On the upside you have managed to stump at least three forum members with this question. Stumping me is not as difficult as I would like. Stumping the other two guys now that's something.

Do let us know what happens. As you can tell from my sig I don't like the words "I don't know".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.