imported photos

Reaction score
Having trouble importing pictures from my Kodak Easy Share Z710. Had my iPhoto Preferences set to "Connecting camera opens in: iPhoto". Got message saying iPhoto could not recognize JPG format. Went on line for help. Changed Preferences to "Connecting camera opens in: Image Capture." Then was able to import some of the pictures into "Pictures", however I can't find the "Pictures" file/application/location; whatever or where ever it is. I know that sounds really dumb, but there you are. Help? In my iPhoto library, on the left, I show Library, Recent, Web and Albums. Under albums there is a pictures folder I created to put photos I wanted to sync to my iPad without having my entire library on my iPad, but the new pictures are not there. They are not in Finder under Images or Documents and there is no "Pictures" option in Finder except under the Favorites, and when I open that file, the newly imported photos are not in any of those files either. Nor can I find them under "Downloads". I still have them on my camera's internal memory but still......
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Any advice on how to get iPhoto to recognize JPG format photos?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm tracking down where iPhoto stores the files and will post that when I find it. In the meantime, this should get you going with image capture.

Since you have already set Image Capture as the default application, it should open when you connect your device. The image Capture window opens with your device listed on the left side of the window, pictures on the right, and a few options along the bottom.

At the bottom left you choose the application the photos will be sent to (iPhoto, Preview, Aperture, etc). The Import To Field will show a folder. The default is the Pictures folder inside your user folder.

Either select some photos and choose Import or choose Import All.

Let us know what happens and perhaps I can pin this down a bit more.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I get all the way to the 'Import Photos' drop-down menu and have the 'Pictures' option selected for where to send them but I can't find 'Pictures'. I don't know where to look to open it. So, I think I have some of the pictures in it but I can't access it to check.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I understand now. The following should work if your Sidebar is showing when new Finder windows open. While in the Finder open a Window then choose Preferences. A new sheet of options appears. Click Sidebar at the top of the sheet. then put a check mark by Pictures. That folder will now be in the sidebar of any Finder window. Simply click on it to see the content.

Here's another way to get there. In the Finder press Command, Shift, G simultaneously. In the sheet that appears type ~/Pictures and press Return/click OK.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok. I am there. There are 3 options ; iPhoto Library, Photo Booth Library and iPod Photo Cache. None of them contain the 5 or 6 pictures that were supposedly imported. The sidebar listing where I find "Pictures" is Favorites and also contains a heading or folder or whatever these are, that is "Downloads". The pictures are ont there either, so I'm guessing they did not really get imported? I also looked for anything that had JPG as part of the file name but did not find anything.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think the problem may be with the files. My husband was unable to download them on his PC. But thank you for your help. It definitely benefits me to learn how to get where I want to be on my Mac. I only wish I had started with a Mac instead if a PC.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the problem may be with the files. My husband was unable to download them on his PC. But thank you for your help.

Wish I could have been more help. If the files do not import on the PC as well they may have problems. I neglected to mention that in my first answer. According to this KodaK document the files should import into iPhoto so perhaps there is something wrong.

I only wish I had started with a Mac instead if a PC.

You should feel right at home here. There are many forum members who would agree with you.

OP
S
Reaction score
@Slydude. You were very helpful and I thank you. I ultimately went to my local Wal-Greens and had the pictures put onto a CD. I was then able to import them into iPhoto and e-mail them to the person to whom I had promised them. I really like the ease with which I can share my photos on my iMac and iPad mini.
And, now, iTired and "there's a nap for that". I saw that on a t-shirt and bought it for my oldest son who, when I bought my iMac, said, "Welcome to the cult". lol:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Glad you got that sorted out. Since the folks at Wal-Greens were able to get at them I'm curious why we couldn't. That's good to know though since we have one here locally and I can duck into it as needed if this situation arises.

And, now, iTired and "there's a nap for that". lol:)

ROTFL I had nit seen that quote before but agree entirely with the sentiment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.