Using Snow Leopard in 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8
Does anyone is still using Snow Leopard on their machines? Having the need of running some PowerPC software on my MacBook makes me not wanting to upgrade to Lion (I cannot run ML), so we are in 2013 and I ask are there people still using Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of folks are still using Snow Leopard. If you have PowerPC applications that you have to run, then Snow Leopard is as far as you can upgrade and still use the older apps. Be advised though, that in the future Snow Leopard may be outmoded. OS X Mavericks will be out sometime later this year which will put Snow Leopard users even further behind.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Snow Leopard in my opinion...is still perfectly usable in 2013.

Big reasons folks up grade their OS are:

- new features in the newer OS versions (not always a big deal)
- compatibility with newer hardware (phones, printers, iPads, etc.)
- compatibility with newer software versions (for example, Adobe CS6 may need an OS version newer than 10.6)

Since you still need compatibility with older PPC apps...you have a very good reason to continue using Snow Leopard.:)

The other question you have to ask yourself...is there anything you currently can't do that you want to do with your computer running Snow Leopard? The answer to this (for you) should answer your own question.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8
Snow Leopard in my opinion...is still perfectly usable in 2013.

Big reasons folks up grade their OS are:

- new features in the newer OS versions (not always a big deal)
- compatibility with newer hardware (phones, printers, iPads, etc.)
- compatibility with newer software versions (for example, Adobe CS6 may need an OS version newer than 10.6)

Since you still need compatibility with older PPC apps...you have a very good reason to continue using Snow Leopard.:)

The other question you have to ask yourself...is there anything you currently can't do that you want to do with your computer running Snow Leopard? The answer to this (for you) should answer your own question.:)

- Nick

Not at the moment, oh and Photoshop CS6 requires 10.6.6 so yes It's compatible with Snow Leopard.

Obs: I posted this thread in the wrong fórum, sorry

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not at the moment, oh and Photoshop CS6 requires 10.6.6 so yes It's compatible with Snow Leopard.

Good deal...I was just using CS6 as a quick example (I thought that it needed something newer than SL). My point is...some newer software NEEDS OS 10.7 or 10.8...and that would be one reason why some folks would NEED to upgrade their OS to something newer than Snow Leopard.

But if you are not in this group (which it sounds like you aren't)...then you are "good to go" for the moment.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I have Snow Leopard on 3 MacBooks and 2 iMacs and will keep them on it until the hardware goes out, then I guess I will be too old to compute anyway. Stay with SL IMO.

C

chas_m

According to Net Marketshare, back in January of this year Snow Leopard accounted for about 30 percent of the Mac installed base:

Report: Mountain Lion overtakes predecessors in OS X share | MacNN

It's growth rate, however, suggested that by now Snow would be down to 25 percent or less, which I think is a safe assumption.

What I find endlessly amusing is that when Snow Leopard first came out, there was SO MUCH HATE and wailing and gnashing of teeth about its compatibility with apps, but now it's the "golden child" that was close to perfect and people will never give it up.

Personally I am LOVING Mountain Lion and can't wait for Mavericks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I know what you mean. I loved SL though and never had issues with it. I have moved on to Lion and ML on most machines but I have a small install of SL for older Apps and Rosetta just in case.

ML is an excellent OS though for sure.

C

chas_m

I'm religious about keeping my apps up to date so the loss of Rosetta was basically a non-issue for me. On occasion I get an itch to play an OS 9 game so I just fire up Sheepshaver.

As I just said in another thread I think SL is the best OS version for 2006-2007 Intel Macs, even if they can run Lion. But broadly speaking, staying put is a bad idea in the technology world ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.