Excel 2011 for Mac Shortcut Key Conflict with Italian Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15 inch, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce OSX 10.8.4
I am using the Italian keyboard to input some Italian phrases in Excel for Mac 2011. There are few shortcut keys that are standard for Excel 2011 for Mac that are conflicting with the Italian Keyboard. For instance when using the Italian keyboard the way you type a "?" is by using Cntrl+m. If you do that Excel overides the command and activates "Increase Indent" for that combination of keystrokes. I tried to remove the shortcut by using "Customizing Keyboard" in Excel but the "Remove" option is grayed out and it won't let me unassign this keystroke pair so I can use it for the Italian keyboard. Suggestions ..am I missing something?

As I am looking for a solution for this I found this in someone else's comments regarding this. They said

"IMPORTANT You can delete keyboard shortcuts that you added, but you cannot delete the default keyboard shortcuts for Excel." Is this true... if it is... is there a way around this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"IMPORTANT You can delete keyboard shortcuts that you added, but you cannot delete the default keyboard shortcuts for Excel." Is this true... if it is... is there a way around this?

No, this has been asked before several times. The same is true for all embedded Office 2011 shortcuts. There may be a work around that I'm not aware of. You might want to ask this same question to a MS Mac Office support tech in the Microsoft forum. The forum is free to join. Office Mac Forums

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15 inch, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce OSX 10.8.4
Thanks for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.