CD Rom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I am new to Macs and have a rather dumb question. I have been using a HP CD/DVD USB CD drive for my iMac and can't seem to find the option to leave my CD open after burning. After my files are burned, it closes my CD. Am I missing something in Mountain Lion? Or could it be my CD Rom drive? I never really used the CD Rom for anything because I bought it for a backup a few years back just in case I needed it and never really used it.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I thought maybe I was missing the option somewhere to leave the CD open or closed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After my files are burned, it closes my CD. Am I missing something in Mountain Lion? Or could it be my CD Rom drive?

It depends on which software you're using to burn the CD. The open source free application called "Burn" shows an option to leave the CD open for further burning. Some applications (for example Disk Utility) do not.

However, multi-session burning in OS X is awkward and I personally do not recommend using it. Windows programs work much better in that regard (elegant). Also, OS X does not support multi-session burning of DVDs. Again, Windows does.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on which software you're using to burn the CD. The open source free application called "Burn" shows an option to leave the CD open for further burning. Some applications (for example Disk Utility) do not.

However, multi-session burning in OS X is awkward and I personally do not recommend using it. Windows programs work much better in that regard (elegant). Also, OS X does not support multi-session burning of DVDs. Again, Windows does.

Thanks chscag I will give that a try.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was exactly what I needed, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.