Macbook Pro won't turn on

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct site for this enquiry.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro running recently installed Snow Leopard. Everything has been running smoothly until this evening when it decided to turn itself off.

When I try to restart, it whirrs for a second the sleep light comes on momentarily then there is a clicking sound and nothing at all on the screen.

The green light on the mains adapter is lit.
Does this sound like a hardware problem or is it something else. I would really appreciate some help with this problem.

Thanks in anticipation
Harry

OP
K
Reaction score
macbook pro won't turn on

Hi Nick

Thanks for your quick reply.
I have already done an SMC reset and nothing happens. I have recently bought this machine on ebay.

When I turn it on it sort of whirrs and then clicks off.

Harry

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have already done an SMC reset and nothing happens. I have recently bought this machine on ebay.

When I turn it on it sort of whirrs and then clicks off.

What was the advertised operational condition of this computer from the e-Bay seller?

Was it supposed to be 100% operational...or did you get a great deal on it becasuse it had existing issues?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
macbook pro won't turn on.

I actually got a three month warranty with it. So I will probably go for a refund.

Incidentally I have already tried a PRAM reset but to no avail.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually got a three month warranty with it. So I will probably go for a refund.

Probably a good idea. If it was supposed to be 100% operational...there should be no need for you to fix/troubleshoot other folks issues!:)

Incidentally I have already tried a PRAM reset but to no avail.

Next time it might be a better idea to list what you have already done...so we don't have to cover things that you already tried. Seems like you tried everything I suggested (SMC and PRAM resets) before I suggested them.:)

I'm concerned that if I suggest anything further...you may have tried those things already as well.;) It's always nice to suggest things that someone has not yet tried.:)

Good luck with the return.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Many apologies I will try to be a little more accommodating next time. No need to be so rude I thought this was supposed to be a help forum for users of all degrees of experience.

Oh dear !!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to be so rude I thought this was supposed to be a help forum for users of all degrees of experience.

Oh dear !!

Obviously you didn't appreciate the time & effort I spent trying to help you already. And didn't you see all of the smiley faces I had in my last post?? No rudeness was intended.

I like helping folks with their computing problems...but it doesn't do me or you any good for me to suggest things that you have already tried before posting...that's why it's important for you to mention what you have already tried.

There are many more things I could have suggested besides an SMC or PRAM reset...which you may or may not have already tried.

Also my replies had nothing to do with "users of all degrees of experience"...what I suggested was...inform us what you've already tried...so we can focus on things you haven't tried.:)

Remember...it always pays to be friendly:)...because there may be a next time you need help!;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry Nick I really did appreciate your help last night. I was so hacked off with the mac that I said things I didn't really mean. You weren't being rude and I should have told you what tests I had already performed.

Once again apologies and I hope there are no hard feelings.

Harry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try starting her in safe mode (shift key on boot)

Failing that try in verbose mode (cmd V on startup)

That will start her up in text mode and may tell us at what stage the boot process is failing

Alos, did the mac come with the original grey restore DVD

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Just tried what you suggested but to no avail. Every time I try to boot up it whirrs then clicks off.
No I don't have the grey restore disc. I bought the machine second hand and had to buy a snow leopard disc from apple.

Harry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.