Dog Peed on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
My puppy peed on my macbook pro, it was on my desk, she broke out of her cage, and in her anger jumped on my desk and peed on my laptop. Shortly after the incident my external monitor was able to detect the laptop, it would boot to a white screen and shut down.

Here is what I have so far: 2010 Macbook Pro 15.4 inch GLOSSY (A1286) Intel i5 2.4 ghz 500 gb hard drive 4 gb ram. (mid- 2010)

Here is what happens: I turn it on, i hear the bong, black LCD screen, fans are going off, but I can't do much because ultimately there is no LCD, I tried plugging the computer into my external monitor but the monitor is not detecting the laptop.

Here is what I did: I took the bottom cover off the laptop the corner where the LCD plugs into the mother board reeks of urine, that leads me to believe the issue is isolated to the Glossy LCD Screen. However I also think it is a mother board issue because it is not detecting the external monitor.

Here is what I want to do: This laptop is my baby, its irrational but I worked for the money to buy it and waited so long and did so much research before purchasing it. I'm bringing it to the Apple Store today in Fort Worth & I'm going to ask them to diagnose it,

Possible Scenarios:
If it is a mother board issue: I found an i7 2.66 motherboard that will work with my laptop for $400.00, I can do the install myself.
If it is a LCD issue I found an anti-glare screen for 189.99 from iFixit, so if the LCD is broken I want to go ahead and upgrade my GLOSSY to an ANTIGLARE, is this possible? I'm 100% sure it is but I'm 0% sure as to what adhesive to use to mount the bezel onto the LCD screen itself, that is something that I wanted to ask y'all.

These two solutions should fix my laptop and restore her back to her former glory, however once/if I get it up and running again here is what else I want to do

16GB Ram Upgrade: I have the 330M 256 video card in here, its pretty weak but its what i got, I do a lot of online video streaming (Current Events) and I watch Forex trading and all that fun stuff, essentially all of it is real time and I need something that can handle an extra monitor and multiple applications

Replace the Optical Drive with an SSD I want to put the OS & all that other stuff on a 256 SSD in place of the optical drive, i think it will make the computer really fast.

Ok so the last two things are very reasonable once i get the computer running, the logic board replacement will be easier relative to the LCD replacement, can anyone tell me if they have successfully done this?

Reaction score
DO NOT TURN IT ON. Let it dry out. Some people use rice to dry them out. (though I don't know if that will work with urine)
Definitely take to Genius bar or Apple store for checkout.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah I waited a few hours before I tried booting it up again, I was able to see the white screen on my external monitor a few times, I waited 2-3 days or so before trying it again, that time I heard the bong but my external monitor did not detect the laptop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you should focus on getting the computer working again. Then you can start thinking about ram and storage upgrades.;)

And of course (if you get the computer working) that WHOLE bottom case is going to need a good "sanitizing"...since urine does not have a very pleasant odor!:(

Good luck getting it out of the keyboard!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.