Can I use MacBook Pro running SL with AirPrint printer?

Reaction score
New to Mac Forums and hope I've posted in the correct place. I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and would like to purchase an AirPrint printer so I can print from my iPhone 5. Would there be a problem setting up the printer for both wireless and AirPrint printing? Any feedback will be appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
New to Mac Forums and hope I've posted in the correct place. I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and would like to purchase an AirPrint printer so I can print from my iPhone 5. Would there be a problem setting up the printer for both wireless and AirPrint printing? Any feedback will be appreciated!

Here's some info regarding AirPrint printers:

AirPrint Basics

As you can see...to print from a Macintosh computer to an AirPrint printer...you need to have at least OS 10.7 Lion or OS 10.8 Mountain Lion to do it. Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) is too old.

You should be able to print to the AirPrint printer from your iPhone 5...as long as you're have the latest iOS version installed.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi...thank you for your response! Sorry, not all that tech savvy:( Hopefully, I can explain myself better. What I'm wondering: will I be able to set up an AirPrint printer to print at all from my MBP, and just use the AirPrint feature when printing from my iPhone. Hope this makes sense....lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can setup an air print capable printer to print from your MacBook Pro either by USB or wireless. However, as Nick pointed out, you can not print from your iPhone using the air print capability unless you are using at least Lion (OS X 10.7).

OP
L
Reaction score
You can setup an air print capable printer to print from your MacBook Pro either by USB or wireless. However, as Nick pointed out, you can not print from your iPhone using the air print capability unless you are using at least Lion (OS X 10.7).

Did you mean I wouldn't be able to print from my MBP unless I had OS 10.7 or higher installed? Printing from my iPhone should have nothing to do with Lion or ML.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Didn't you read my reply? The only device that will not print via air print is your iPhone since it needs a later version of OS X installed (10.7). Your MacBook Pro can print from a air print capable printer either by using USB or wireless.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, I read your reply!! iPhone 5 uses the iOS6 operating system. The MBP uses OS X. So, airprint will work for the iPhone but not for the Mac unless I upgrade the Mac OS to Lion or ML.
Have contacted Canon with my questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.