Can you convert multiple .dmg files into an ISO?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I have been researching google and the forums trying to answer my question but can't get a straight answer.

I have a backup of one of my mac programs that is a collection of what I believe are .dmg files. I had them as a large rar file with the many files inside. What I am trying to do is convert the many .dmg files into one that can be recognized by the mac, preferably an .iso or something that will boot. Has anybody had this problem? What seems to be the solution.

T

topshot

.dmg files are the native disk image format for the mac so not quite sure what you mean here. You can also make bootable images using disk image which comes with Mac os. If you are trying to read the dmg files on the mac and they aren't being read properly, sounds like the file extension was renamed from the original rar files. If they are a bunch of rar files, then you need to extract what is in them using a program such as expander for Mac. Dmg files can also be made to span multiple disc images but all you need to do is open one of them to automatically mount the disc image. The system will ask you for any of the files if it can't find it.

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what you are describing is exactly the process I use on my PC, but it isn't working my my mac backup. I started with three rar files, then extracted all their contents to a folder. I end up with 209 files that won't open with a program. UnrarX doesn't recognize them, and I don't know what to open them with. They should open up and extract an image but it isn't working that way. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
I need to do this too, but for a different reason. I don't have a superdrive on my ibook, so when I'm in iDVD I can only export to a *.dmg. I have a dvd burner on my pc, but I can't find anything to open or burn the dmg on the pc, so I need to convert it somehow to a *.iso.

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a superdrive on my iBook either. I am getting so frustrated. I never had a problem with this on my PC. And now it doesn't work on Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I think you can convert them to .cdr files with Disk Utility (convert to CD/DVD master), which you can the rename as .iso for use on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.