Load CDs onto iPod Touch?

Reaction score
I have a friend who is not computer literate and does not have a computer. She has just bought a refurbished ipod touch from Apple. She wants to bring it over to me and have me rip a bunch of her CDs and load them onto her iPod which I said I would.

I am running OS X ver 10.7.5 on an iMac. She already has an itunes account. She will want to download music from her account and load CD's of hers that I rip for her.

Can this be done? I planned on using itunes to rip and load CDs to her ipod. Is itunes going to say her itunes account is different from my imac?

As long as I'm only loading her CDs that I've ripped and not purchased via itunes, will I be able to do this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ripped songs have nothing to do with your iTunes account - they are very much separate. Thus, if you rip the songs for her, you shouldn't have any issue putting them on her iPod for her.

OP
J
Reaction score
So itunes won't say this iPod has a different apple id than the other iOS devices already attached to it? As long as I'm just loading ripped CDs?

And of course, by loading, I mean syncing selected albums to the iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It will if you are syncing your iTunes purchased media with her iPod. Especially with apps. If you install your apps on it, its going to ask for your password when they need to be updated.

I'd recommend making a new user, or using a guest account. Have her login to her iTunes account on the 2nd account, and then use that iTunes to load her iPod. Just remember if you do you the guest account, that its originally set to delete everything that is created in that account when you log out.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd recommend making a new user, or using a guest account. Have her login to her iTunes account on the 2nd account, and then use that iTunes to load her iPod. Just remember if you do you the guest account, that its originally set to delete everything that is created in that account when you log out.
Couldn't this be simplified by simply logging out of iTunes, logging in as her and then syncing everything over?

OP
J
Reaction score
I will be syncing nothing but ripped CDs. No apps, nothing purchased with her itunes account. We do plan on downloading from her iTunes music purchases, but we will use wifi for that, so that should not use my iTunes or my computer at all.

I'm thinking that I should create a new user account for her, so that preferences I setup for her iPod, like selecting the CDs to sync, don't show up in my iTunes.

I am thinking if I logged onto iTunes with her account on my computer, it's going to say my computer is not assigned to that apple id and ask if I want to reassign it. That's happened to me before and it had to wait a month before I could reassign back to my account.

Edit: I just remembered I had already created a profile for her and just checked out the iTunes preferences. I noticed that I had unchecked the "copy files to iTunes media folder" checkbox for her iTunes but my iTunes has it checked. I wonder I did that. Both itunes are using the same library, but I notice in her itunes that many of the albums don't have album cover images (even though my version of them do) and there albums where all the songs are duplicated.

I wonder why the two itunes aren't more in sync with each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Couldn't this be simplified by simply logging out of iTunes, logging in as her and then syncing everything over?

Yes and no. Yes if he doesn't mind her CDs getting mixed up in his music and then going through and removing it all. No if he doesn't want her music and wants an easy way to delete it once its loaded on the iPod.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point. From the sounds of it, a separate account might actually be easiest (and, really, it's not all that difficult to set up).

OP
J
Reaction score
I rechecked the preferences for her profile and she did have a different itunes library. I changed it to mine and when I did that I got "Would you like itunes to move and rename the files in your new itunes media folder to match the "Keep itunes media folder organized" preference?"

I clicked yes and I could see some names whiz by but after it was done, her itunes library still does not match mine, it looks like it did previously. I restarted itunes and that didn't fix it. Since both itunes are now pointing to the same media folder, why aren't they identical?

Would logging completely out of her profile and loggin back in help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They also have to be pointing to the same iTunes Library file to get the same iTunes Library. The media folders may be the same, but the library file tells iTunes what is in the media folder.

OP
J
Reaction score
I googled the library file and found I had to hold down the option key while starting itunes. I did that and started iTunes in Susan's profile, selected the file, and I could see itunes quickly do something with files.

I then looked at the music in album view and I could see it had changed, more albums, I believe. But it is still not the same as in MY itunes profile. There are still a lot of albums missing in Susan's iTunes.

So I've updated the itunes library in itunes advanced preferences and now the library file. Is there something else I need to change?

BTW, I tried logging out of all profiles and restarting. Even after that, I found the results I mentioned above.

OP
J
Reaction score
My gut feel about the problem is where I've got my media library. It is in:
users/shared/music/Johnny's Library/itunes media

I've found on apples site a page that shows how multiple accounts can share the same library. It mentions the folder should be in an area that can be shared like the public folder in the home folder for the account. It goes on to mention that users/shared would also work, but it doesn't. For me any way.

Here's al link to the article: iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

Really can't figure this one out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.