Google Maps - Auto-change of route, annoying..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Have you guys noticed that, even when you're following the route you chose to begin with, sometimes Google Maps app will change the route halfway through. And if you take a wrong turning sometimes it automatically switches to Route B instead of getting you back on the original route.

Anyone else noticed that? Is there a switch for that? :|

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I haven't noticed the route switch but it really likes you to stick to the route it has mapped out. A slight deviation and I see the ol' "rerouting" message.

Is this random or does it happen in particular areas?

(Random aside - I hate how GM always warns me 3 or 4 times about a direction change within a km of it..."turn right in 500 metres...turn right in 400 metres...turn right in 10 metres...okay, I get it!).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That apparently is for the benefit of folks like me who could get lost going around the block.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
I'd like an option that says "Always take me back to original route on wrong turns"

C

chas_m

Since you're driving, try Apple Maps and see if it doesn't work better for you. I've used it since it first came out and for driving (assuming you're not in deepest darkest Borneo or someplace like that) I've never ever had a single issue.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Brave :p

I'm still on iOS5 so can't try it, but I will try it in a month :p

Reaction score
I dont know if google map is included but have you read an article that Google is shutting some of their apps/services like Google latitude, etc?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Google will never shut down their map division - it's much too large and successful for that to ever be a concern. ;)

C

chas_m

I agree with Van -- no chance of Google Maps shutting down, it's far to useful to Google and popular with users (rightly so, they've put tremendous effort into it).

That said, Google is sometimes unafraid to shut down products and services that are well-liked by users (Google Reader springs to mind) for unclear reasons. Sometimes they simply fold a given service into a larger program/service, like they did with Shopping.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Theres way way too much work put into Maps to shut down

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.