MacBook Pro to TV

Reaction score
When I connect my Mac Book Pro to my Samsung TV via the HDMI sockets/cable, I get perfect picture but no sound! I have also tried the smaller Thunderbolt outlet using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (which worked fine on my older Dell laptop) but again no sound.

Do I have to change a setting somewhere on the Pro?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Sound

Select the TV for the output - it will only show there when connected and turned on.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is something that is easy to miss especially when you consider that HDMI is pitched as automatically piping sound and video (the latter of which works automatically). I ran into this issue myself the first time and I wish Apple designed it such that, at a minimum, you were prompted to change the output for sound when you plug in an HDMI cable. Not a huge issue though.

A quick way to switch in the meantime is to hold down option and click the volume menu bar item. You should be able to switch the output device there (thanks to Slydude for that one).

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks guys - solved! One is sort of kept in the dark about this sort of thing. It would be nice (and not rocket science) when you plug the HDMI in the Pro popped up the sound/video options!

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to connect a MacBook 4.1 that is about 5-6 years old to an HDTV? Don't want to buy cables unless I know they will work and I have heard several issues with sound not working. My computer doesn't have thunderbolt but it does have a small port that I have been told can connect with the right cable to an HDTV. thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.