OS X Disk 2 error!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
I am trying to do a clean install on my Macbook having had a few unresolvable problems and all went well until I had to put in the 2nd installation disk. It came up with the message "An error occurred while installing Mac X. Click continue for details."
I click continue and then get this message:

"Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The Installer could not locate the data it need to install the software. Check your internet connection and try again or contact manufacturer for assistance. Click Restart and try again."

Well I've tried several times, changed disks but all to no avail. Cleaned the disks but no apparent scratches!

I did have Lion installed and my disks were the previous version, Snow Leopard. I have all my disks.

Any thoughts please? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try installing without the additional software - should be an option during the installation.
That will alleviate the need for inserting disc 2 during the install process.
You can try installing that software after you get OS X installed.

However, if the Snow Leopard discs you are using are not the discs that shipped with that computer, they're not going to work. Those discs are system type specific.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
Try installing without the additional software - should be an option during the installation.
That will alleviate the need for inserting disc 2 during the install process.
You can try installing that software after you get OS X installed.

However, if the Snow Leopard discs you are using are not the discs that shipped with that computer, they're not going to work. Those discs are system type specific.

Thanks that's a good idea but now I'll have somehow start from the beginning again by formatting and then inserting Disk 1. I've tried to boot the machine from disk one but it keeps on insisting that I insert Disk 2.! How would I have to format, I know there are some commands that open the terminal but can't quite remember them?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Re-boot holding down the option key - select the disc to boot to it.

You can then open Disk Utility to format the drive again.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-boot holding down the option key - select the disc to boot to it.

You can then open Disk Utility to format the drive again.

Well I sorted it out at last but my disks didn't work. I think there was a conflict between the installation of the previous version and and the recovery partition on the hard disk. It suggested that I can only load Lion with an internet connection and then i noticed that there was a menu bar allowing me the possibility of connection with airport. I entered the necessary router key and then i was away. It failed to install Lion from Apple the first time but on the second attempt everything went perfectly. So now am just uploading my wife's files and she'll be a very happy bunny that her machine is back in working order without all the freezing etc problems she was having.

Thanks for the pointers.
Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.