Spreadsheet off-line?

Reaction score
I've recently started using AstralPad on my iPad, and I find it a good and useful spreadsheet. However, when I'm off-line I don't seem to be able to view a sheet I've saved to the iPad. This is no use to me. Is there a SS application which at least allows you to view a SS stored locally when there's no internet connection?

An update. I've just found that I can read it in Dropbox with no internet connection, which is a life saver. But I can't update it. I realise that with no internet connection I can't save it back to the cloud, but I want an application that runs from locally-installed software, so that I can edit and save to the iPad. It seems that AstralPad's software is also in the Cloud, a little detail they don't think important enough to let you know. (This sums up much of what I don't like about "the Cloud" - vague and imprecise descriptions which mean you never really know what's happening).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which spreadsheet program are you using? Excel, Numbers? There are several iOS programs that will allow you to view and edit your Excel spreadsheet off line, however, since I do not use Numbers, I can't help you with that one.

For Excel you might want to give QuickOffice Pro or Office HD a look. Neither program is free. I believe Office HD is $9.99 but it's been almost a year since I purchased it. Price may not be the same.

OP
P
Reaction score
AstralPad is the name of the application, and it includes spreadsheet, word processor and presentation. Rather like a modern version of Lotus Symphony.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not worried about paying for it, so long as I know it does what I want.

OP
P
Reaction score
And it's for iOS on an iPad. I think the apps you mentioned are for OSX..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And it's for iOS on an iPad. I think the apps you mentioned are for OSX..

Nope. I knew you wanted it for iOS. Both Apps are available from the iTunes store and are specifically for iOS. I use both on my iPad.

OP
P
Reaction score
Office HD has appalling reviews - all very bad with no good ones. Is your experience different? It will cost me £5:49, which is around $8-9.

QuickOffice Pro HD doesn't have especially nad reviews, but some are bad and the rest aren't stunning. It's very expensive at £13.99, which is around $21-22. Again, do you find it good? The reviewers didn't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both have been pretty good. I do prefer Office HD over Quick Office Pro which I purchased first. Both apps support Drop Box which is convenient for syncing between your iPad and Mac.

As for reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. I've read reviews which make an app look bad, but then when I tried the app I couldn't understand why the reviewer said what he said. Some folks will give an app a bad review because they don't understand how it works or supposed to work.

I wish there were something for free that supports Office files, but unless you wish to spend $9.99 each for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, Office HD is probably the best for now.

OP
P
Reaction score
So far as I can see, Astralpad supports.Office files very well. But it runs exclusively in the cloud, which I find a nuisance.

Does Office HD run on the iPad or in the Cloud? I can't tell from the blurb and if it needs the cloud it's no use to me.

And if you read the reviews of Office HD on the Store, they are very specific in their complaints. Are they factually wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I personally would look at Numbers from Apple, as well as being able to view and edit Offline, you will also be able to use, edit, and make new documents via iCloud.com.
Im using the Beta now and it works very well, so its coming into line with Google Docs and the ease of use surprised me (Dont own it, but have been playing with the Beta and surprised at the ease of use and features)
Something to think about :)

OP
P
Reaction score
I'll look at it closely. I wasn't impressed with Numbers on my MBP and soon switched to Open Office.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does Office HD run on the iPad or in the Cloud? I can't tell from the blurb and if it needs the cloud it's no use to me.

Office HD runs either from your iPad or iPhone. By storing documents in Drop Box on your Mac, they will be available for Office HD on your iPad. As far as the reviews, I can't speak for them. I can only say that it works well for me.

Also, not to spoil what my good friend TattooedMac stated about the iWork beta.... I too was invited to use it and I'm not impressed. I played around with Pages for quite sometime and did not like the cloud like rendering at all.

If you have doubts about Office HD, by all means don't purchase it. I wish they had a trial version to try out first but apparently they don't.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm currently running AstralPad.and iSpreadsheet on my IPad. The former allows me to edit and create from the IPad, but it only runs in the Cloud so when I'm out and about I can't read the spreadsheets, even though I have them stored locally. ISpreadsheet allows me to view these spreadsheets off-line, but it seems to be only a viewer with no editing capability. A bit clumsy but workable. I haven't yet found an acceptable way of editing and creating off-line, which is what I'd really like to do.

I don't object to paying for the right product, but there's so much rubbish out there I won't buy a pig in a poke - I'll only buy once I'm sure I have the right solution.

I'm using Dropbox as my main (sole if possible) means of transferring files to my iPad. If I can find a way of not using iTunes I'll uninstall it again. Lack of direct access to the iPad file structure is probably going to cause me to sell this iPad and get Android. Other than the abysmal speaker I like the hardware, but the software stinks. I also have a small Android tablet, and it is so much easier to use and more intuitive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lack of direct access to the iPad file structure is probably going to cause me to sell this iPad and get Android.

If you do decide to sell your iPad, I wish you luck selling it. I've been trying to sell my 3rd generation iPad with cellular for some time with no takers. And I've priced it below the recommended selling price. There are too many nice tablets on the market now which are giving the iPad and iPad mini fierce competition. Take a look at the new Nexus 7.

OP
P
Reaction score
Selling it here for what I paid will be easy. But I want a tablet of at least the same size, so the Nexus 7 wouldn't be much use. But there are now some excellent tablets at around 10". Apple are their own worst enemies - by not allowing competing operating systems and file formats they are driving people to Android, with its far freer standards. I like my MBP (when it works) and by-and-large I like OSX. But iOS is a pain. I can do far more far more easily on my Samsung Tab2 7 - I just wish I'd bought a larger format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Also, not to spoil what my good friend TattooedMac stated about the iWork beta.... I too was invited to use it and I'm not impressed. I played around with Pages for quite sometime and did not like the cloud like rendering at all.

Well it is still in the β stage Charlie :p
But yes is a little sluggish at the moment

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know Brent. Hard to teach an old dog like me something new. It just felt awkward trying save and or copy a *.doc or *.docx file from the iMac over. I finally got it to work but it does need polishing or I need more practice. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.