Password

Reaction score
Hello Every One.
I have OSX 10.8.4
When I start up the computer in a morning the usual thing happens with the desk top picture and my own icons showing.
From then on any one can use it. What I want is to have a password to be able to go any further.
Can this be done, and if so, would some one please tell me how to in simple form please. mousetrap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
Go to System Preferences, then go to Users & Groups, then click on Change Password.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
Am I right in assuming there should be a box on the desktop to fill in the password before going any further.
I do have a pass word in there but have never been asked to use it. mousetrap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Once you login in again, this box will show under the icomn that is your account.

You can also check in t System Preferences>Security & Privacy and under General you should see a A login Password has been set for this user. If not you can do it there as well, you can set it to require a Password after screen sleeps or after screensaver. If you can not get into them because they are greyed out, then click on the little lock down the bottom, put in your Master Admin Password and then change it.

HTH

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you already have a password...

You'll click on 'Login Options' (in System Preferences - Users & Groups)
Make sure Automatic Login is Off
You should need to click on the lock at the bottom to make this change and put in your password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.