Burn iphoto library to dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I am in the process of consolidating my digital photo library. I had photos on a few hard drives, I transferred them all the Macbook, and I now want to burn them onto dvd to have a hard copy saved. Problem is, I have over 38,500 digital photos on my mac now. I have dvds ready to burn, but they each hold only 4.7gb. My library is much more than that. How do i burn my entire iphoto library to dvd? Obviously, I need to split the library up top fit multiple dvds. Is manually doing this the only way, meaning creating separate 4.7gb folders with pictures in them to burn? That is a lot of work, loading the folder, checking size, removing or adding pics as needed, then tracking what pics are already burned, etc.... There has to be an automated way to have iphoto burn the library to dvd, then notify me when to insert a fresh dvd because the first one of full. Is it wishful thinking to believe there has to be a better, easier, more automated way to size and burn my library to dvd, or am I going to have to do it the manual, more time consuming way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that's going to be a monumental task you're undertaking. Instead of using standard DVDs you could use:

1. Double layer DVDs

2. Buy a Blue Ray burner and disks. (costly solution)

I don't know of a way to backup that many photos to DVD without doing it manually. In Windows there are several older backup programs that will work with DVDs and will do what you want. That is notify you when a DVD is full and to insert another.

It may be less expensive to purchase several good quality large external hard drives and copy your photos to them instead of using DVDs. Make sure you have at least one backup of all your photos.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Yeah, that's going to be a monumental task you're undertaking. Instead of using standard DVDs you could use:

1. Double layer DVDs

2. Buy a Blue Ray burner and disks. (costly solution)

I don't know of a way to backup that many photos to DVD without doing it manually. In Windows there are several older backup programs that will work with DVDs and will do what you want. That is notify you when a DVD is full and to insert another.

It may be less expensive to purchase several good quality large external hard drives and copy your photos to them instead of using DVDs. Make sure you have at least one backup of all your photos.

Yeah that's what i was afraid of. I really want to have hard copies of the pics. My wife was very upset a while back when an 2 external drives crashed and we lost quite a few baby pics. I already have a drive for them, but really want them burned to dvd as well. Oh well, guess I got some work ahead of me. Thanks for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.