• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Anyone have ANY idea about the stocks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
What is going on? 4.30 loss in ONE day, after 15 dollar loss over the past couple weeks? This is insane. Why are these idiots even selling?

Reaction score
Just wait, i bet that once a new ipod or intel mac comes out, it will go back up.

Dont take my word but thats what i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It can't always go up. Last year was an incredibly good year, there are always ups and downs. I don't pay attention to it too much because unless you are a day to day trader, whats the point? My apple stock value is down $430 today, but until I actually sell it I haven't lost a dime except for the money I put into it.

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
It can't always go up. Last year was an incredibly good year, there are always ups and downs. I don't pay attention to it too much because unless you are a day to day trader, whats the point? My apple stock value is down $430 today, but until I actually sell it I haven't lost a dime except for the money I put into it.
i still dont trust my self enough to buy.. cant 'put my money were my mouth is....'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
EDIT-XTREEM said:
i still dont trust my self enough to buy.. cant 'put my money were my mouth is....'
i may be down today but overall its still +$4348.50 for me

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

I hope they dont come out with a new Ipod i am thinking about upgrading from my 4th generation to a video ipod. But anyways i think the stock price move from anything above $50 a share was all hype of the new products comming out. But then again you havent lost untill you sell i would hold out till next quarters earning come out. If any of you bought apple stock at $65 or above i would sell it now and invest that money in intel right now since it is at its year low. Anways Intel is the the tech stock to buy now i think its undervalued and it is bound to go back up in the next few months.

D

djmitch

Meyvn said:
What is going on? 4.30 loss in ONE day, after 15 dollar loss over the past couple weeks? This is insane. Why are these idiots even selling?
Sounds like an awesome buying opportunity, don't you think? Well, once it appears to 'bottom out' anyhow. There's no question that a rebound will occur, it's just a matter of when and which new Apple innovation will once again turn the tech world on its ear.

M

mecca3000

Be Cautious

Up until the last quarter, investing in Apple was easy. People made some real easy money in 2005. The transition to Intel, while personally I believe will proceed smoothly, means risks to lots of people. A portion of those people got scared and ran off when the outlook for the 2nd quarter came out conservatively. Apple's outlook almost never meets the street's expectations (either that or the analysts are a bunch of yahoos who don't know ****, I think it's the latter). But even bigger portion of people left recently because there hasn't been a new product that will boost the sales for this quarter for which the transition may have a negative effect on the Mac side. I didn't think the sentiment would be so negative. But I highly doubt that the sell-off is behind us yet. There are still those who will 'vamoose' at the first sign of negativity since most of them already have profits even at $67. That's what's scary about the Apple shares. The stock jumped so much in such short period of time that it could probably go down another 10 and many will still be willing to sell it. If the invitation card that's floating around the internet is indeed authentic (if not, shame on whoever that did that), Steve better come out with something fresh for a new market. A new mactel or a new iPod may not be enough to reverse the current sentiment for this quarter. For the long term though, if you are long on Apple, a valuation may be a good thing. Weed out the weak hands and bring in some new money. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
One way to protect yourself from big losses is to buy 'put' options on the stock you hold. A put is basically a contract with someone, that says that they will purchase X amount of stock at Y price anytime between now and a set date in the future.

As example, lets say you own 100 shares of AAPL that you bought at $45 per share. Right now you're 'up' roughly $22 per share or $2200. But, you don't want to get caught in a freefall a la 2000-2001. Lets say you don't want to absorb anything below $60 for the next 6 months. You can purchase 1 contract (1 contract = 100 shares) of July AAPL puts at a strike of 60.00 for 4.40 per share ($440 for the contract).

What happens is this. If the price of aapl say, goes back to $45, then your 100 shares that you hold are now worth $4500 (back where you started). However, the contract you hold for 100 shares is also now worth the difference in market value vs the contracted sale price, which si 60-45=15 per share x 100 shares (the contract size). Basically, your put contract will be worth $1500.

The end result would be, you have $4500 in shares + contract worth $1500 = $6000. You also spend $440 on the contract originally so you're actually sitting at $5560.

The downside to this is that the contract is only good until the 3rd friday in July. It basically means you're not going to lose anything more if the stock goes below 60 between now and July, but you can still lose more after july.

There are lots of ways you can juggle this. For example, you can buy January 2008 options for 3.80 per share. 100 shares is $380. That would insure that there is no way you could lose money from your original $45 / share investment between now and January 2008 (other than the $380 you put in).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
lonerider said:
For example, you can buy January 2008 options for 3.80 per share. 100 shares is $380. That would insure that there is no way you could lose money from your original $45 / share investment between now and January 2008 (other than the $380 you put in).

Sorry, that was for Januar 2008 AAPL 45 options.

I

iluvthsgam

even at $67 Apple stock is WAY overvalued. Although the P/E has come down from 30 a bit, its still at 25! Should be below 20! This stock should tumble into the 50s again before I buy it up.

I

iluvthsgam

^^ oops read that info wrong. the P/E is still at 36! Which makes the stock even worse right now! $67 does not reflect the true value of the stock, which is much lower. The only reason the stock is soaring so high is becuase amatuer investors buy on emotion not value. The people getting rich on a stock like this are the big money managers not the little guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I sold 5 of my 6 shares. Made a nice little profit, waiting until they get down below my price on the one I have left (hey, when you start talking to someone about how much you love Apple and you can litteraly say you own stock in the company, it means something).

Reaction score
how did it lose $2.48 today.. 'Quick every one buy more macs!'
I guess 64.83 is not that bad... But Ebay is catching up to apple

A

ashden

Most likely related to the Antitrust lawsuit. No matter be patient and it will go back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Hey, Google went from ~$460 to $343. THAT would hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.