mishap in garageband

Reaction score
i was working on a tune and had assembled several layers and samples but one sample needed to be slowed down, so i saved my project and quit, then thought i would open it up again deletes all the other layers and work particularly on slowing that very sample down and SAVING IT AS a different file and then using it in my initial tune but all of a sudden as opposed to pressing `save as` i pressed `save` and all of my layers were gone except the one i wanted to slow down, :( that was a downer
ya think there is a way of retrieving the old layers/samples back though i accidentally saved a new file over them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Do you have any type of back up...Time Machine or any other back up software on an ext hdd? If so, you should find it there.
A bit of advise...with my extensive recording studio experience, I have always backed up my tracks in at least 3 different places or media types because flash drives fail, hard drives crash, CD/DVD,s become unusable/unreadable. One back up was always stored off site (in case of fire, for instance). Yes, it is a lot of trouble...but no where near the trouble of tracking stuff again and sometimes there is magic in a track that can never be created again. With paying clients, it really helps assure them i have their music interest at heart.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you have any type of back up...Time Machine or any other back up software on an ext hdd? If so, you should find it there.
A bit of advise...with my extensive recording studio experience, I have always backed up my tracks in at least 3 different places or media types because flash drives fail, hard drives crash, CD/DVD,s become unusable/unreadable. One back up was always stored off site (in case of fire, for instance). Yes, it is a lot of trouble...but no where near the trouble of tracking stuff again and sometimes there is magic in a track that can never be created again. With paying clients, it really helps assure them i have their music interest at heart.

i have Time Machine
never used before but will try now, hope it works, fingers crossed
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.