Mountain Lion - Icons for each "Desktop"?

Reaction score
I run multiple "desktops" on Mountain Lion.
However, I like to keep similar programs on the same desktop.
When I do the 4-finger-upsweep on my trackpad and the current desktop minimizes and shows all of the other desktops along the top border...it's sort of hard to see what's what in the other desktops.

So, my question is...is there a way to superimpose an avatar/icon on the desktop snapshots (like the "X" logo in the Dock for Microsoft's Excel, or the "W" in the Dock for Word, etc?).....so if you wanted to keep all of your Excel windows on one desktop and your Word docs on another desktop, Photoshop on a third desktop, Illustrator on a 4th desktop, etc., etc. you could put an avatar/icon on that desktop snapshot on the top border to give you a quick reference for what is on that desktop.

Any thoughts on how I might accomplish this?

J.

P.S. Obviously when you clicked on the Desktop you wanted to switch to, the avatar/icon in the snapshot would disappear so as not to be visible when the newly-chosen desktop is full-size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If what i think your talking about, try this.

If you have those Apps in your Dock, Control/Click on the Icon or 2 Finger Tap to bring up its contextual menu and then goto 'Option' Then 'Assign to' This Desktop or All Desktops, then when you click on that Dock Icon, those certain Apps will always open in the Desktops you chose

HTH if this is what your looking for :)

Reaction score
You could just have a different desktop wallpaper for each space. Associate a background with each app.

OP
J
Reaction score
If what i think your talking about, try this.

If you have those Apps in your Dock, Control/Click on the Icon or 2 Finger Tap to bring up its contextual menu and then goto 'Option' Then 'Assign to' This Desktop or All Desktops, then when you click on that Dock Icon, those certain Apps will always open in the Desktops you chose

HTH if this is what your looking for :)

That might be a workaround. Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
You could just have a different desktop wallpaper for each space. Associate a background with each app.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too....however, if you have a bunch of windows open on a specific desktop, then you can't see the wallpaper.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.