Printer Networking - Mac + Old PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - in the spring we transitioned to Apple computers (new iMac + MBP running the most recent Mtn Lion software) - bought a new Canon MX922 printer which is attached to the iMac via USB - w/ AirPrint we can print from our iPads & my MBP.

Moved my old Dell XP desktop to the back room - added a Wi-Fi adapter which works well w/ my router (AirPort Extreme) - also have 2 old printers (Brother HL-2270DW laser & Canon MP830) attached via USB to the old computer.

PROBLEM - I'm trying to get these old printers to work over my Wi-Fi network, so that I can print from our iPads, iMac, & the MBP to the old printers - I can 'see' them on my devices/computers BUT both are located @ FingerPrint@'My Location', i.e. to print in the past from my old XP computer & non-AirPrint printer, I had an app (FingerPrint on the Dell) which mimicked AirPrint - I cannot seem to reassigned these printers to my Wi-Fi network - comments & advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need Printopia. Not free, but can be downloaded from here. One of the best investments I've made in software. I can print to my ancient HP laser jet from my iPad or the wife's iPhone with it. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need Printopia. Not free, but can be downloaded from here. One of the best investments I've made in software.

Looks like a pretty handy app! I certainly have some old printers that I wouldn't mind being able to use with newer Apple electronics (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro)!:)

I can print to my ancient HP laser jet from my iPad or the wife's iPhone with it. :)

I'm assuming that if the "ancient HP Laserjet" is truly ancient...that it is not wireless. So I'm also assuming you need a cable to print from your iPad or iPhone (cable from iPad/iPhone to printer).

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need Printopia. Not free, but can be downloaded from here. One of the best investments I've made in software. I can print to my ancient HP laser jet from my iPad or the wife's iPhone with it. :)

Thanks Chscag - FingerPrint is a similar app that has resided on my old Dell PC for over 2 years and has allowed me to print from my iPad to both old printers, so not in need of that function (and still works as before).

What I'm trying to do is setup the old printers so I can print from my new iMac & MBP - seems to be a network sharing issue between the Mac OS & Windows XP. The 2 old printers are seen by these new Apple computers but I cannot print to them. Main reason is that my wife does most of the printing in the house and I'd like her to have access to all printers from her iMac, especially the laser when she has a LOT of B&W printing to do.

Thanks again - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming that if the "ancient HP Laserjet" is truly ancient...that it is not wireless. So I'm also assuming you need a cable to print from your iPad or iPhone (cable from iPad/iPhone to printer).

No cable needed Nick. As long as my HP is connected via USB to my iMac and the iMac is on the same network as my iPad or the wife's iPhone, Printopia allows printing from it without the HP being physically connected to the iOS devices.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No cable needed Nick. As long as my HP is connected via USB to my iMac and the iMac is on the same network as my iPad or the wife's iPhone, Printopia allows printing from it without the HP being physically connected to the iOS devices.

Thanks...now I understand how it works! That wired connection between the iMac and the old printer makes sense as to how the printing from the an iPhone or iPad would work.:)

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks...now I understand how it works! That wired connection between the iMac and the old printer makes sense as to how the printing from the an iPhone or iPad would work.:)

Hi Nick - FingerPrint from Collobos Software does the same, for myself the app resides on my old XP PC, our iPads recognize the printers wirelessly because the computer is simulating 'Air Print' - the devices then can print to the old printers (attached to my PC via USB).

However, my issue was explained in a previous post, i.e. I want my iMac & MBP to print to those old printers over my Wi-Fi home network - been researching the issue and does not seem to be an 'easy' solution - quoted below (from THIS SOURCE) makes the task odious - YUK!

I hope there may be a 'cross-OS network expert' reading this thread that might help w/ an easier solution - otherwise, I might just 'give away' the old printers and buy a new B&W laser that has more 'friendly user' network options w/ Mac OS - this seems more difficult than I expected? Dave :(

If you’re on a Mac and you need to print to an older printer connected to a Windows XP PC, well, you’re in for a bundle of joy to get it working. It’s not the simplest process in the world, here’s the gist of it:

- You’ll need to make sure the Windows XP PC works fine with the printer

- Again on the Windows XP machine, you’ll need to install some software that emulates a postscript printer and allows redirection of printer ports

- You’ll then need to setup an emulated postscript printer in Windows XP that prints to the real printer attached to the PC

- Next you must setup a UNIX LPR Printer Service on top of Windows XP that points to the emulated post script printer

- Finally, in Mac OS X you setup a new LPR over IP printer and point it the Windows XP PC

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm rarely a bumper but has been 2 days w/o a response after my final post about the apparent difficulty of getting printers on a PC computer to communicate w/ Apple computers over a home network - SO, just bringing this back to the top to see if there are any 'easier' solutions? If not, I may just 'give away' the old Ink Jet printer and buy a new B/W laser w/ better networking features - any suggestions at this point? Thanks all - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying a new BW laser printer with built in wireless is probably your best bet if the other solutions aren't viable. Brother makes a small compact wireless laser printer that fully supports Mac OS X. I don't remember the model number off hand but I'm sure you can find it at Staples, Office Depot, or maybe Best Buy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, my issue was explained in a previous post, i.e. I want my iMac & MBP to print to those old printers over my Wi-Fi home network - been researching the issue and does not seem to be an 'easy' solution - quoted below (from THIS SOURCE) makes the task odious - YUK!

If your goal is to get an old non-wifi printer to print wirelessly over your network...the only way I'm aware of is to purchase some sort of wifi dongle that plugs into one of the printers ports.

Unfortunately...I tried doing this for years & years without success with my old non-wifi printers. Most/many of these "wifi dongles" are made primarily for folks using Windows/Windows computers...and they probably work well for folks with Windows systems. But trying to get them to work with a Mac is just a nightmare...all I ended up doing is getting frustrated after hours & hours of trying...and I got a BIG headache each time!!!:(

As chscag suggests...the best thing to do is purchase a brand new wifi ready printer. These can sometimes be gotten for right around $100 (or slightly under).

Believe it or not...many of those wifi dongles for printers I mentioned above can be pretty pricey. Sometimes as much as a new printer. And even with the high price...you still can't (or I couldn't);) get them to work within a Macintosh computer environment.

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying a new BW laser printer with built in wireless is probably your best bet if the other solutions aren't viable. Brother makes a small compact wireless laser printer that fully supports Mac OS X. I don't remember the model number off hand but I'm sure you can find it at Staples, Office Depot, or maybe Best Buy.

Thanks Chscag - believe that I'll start looking @ a new laser printer - :) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.