Time Machine

Reaction score
I have lost some of my bookmarks. Referring to prior posts they tell me to open time machine and go to my user account. I click on my name and then don't know where to go.

Thanks for the help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bookmarks for which browser? Safari? Chrome? Firefox? Opera?

Safari bookmarks are located here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Safari/bookmarks.plist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'Go' in the Menu Bar > Computer > Computer Name > Users.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK - I Go to the menu bar - click on computer - then I see Macintosh HD (no specific computer name) then I tried clicking on Macintosh HD - and library (It showed many items, but none of them were Safari) So instead of selecting library I selected users and my name. After that selection library was not a choice.

All of that was before going into time machine. If I went into time machine I could not find a way to get to the menu bar sequence. ????

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you open a specific Time Machine backup (by date and or time) it should look exactly like you opened the Finder. Are you not seeing that?

From the Finder like dialog in Time Machine you can navigate to the specific folder or file you're seeking, right click on it and then select restore. You'll be asked where you wish to restore it, original location or somewhere else.

Let me know if you're at least seeing what I described above and we can go from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What version of OS X are you running? The file that you need to see may be "hidden" in the Time Machine backup. I can't check at the moment. If you aare on 10.7 or 10.8 let us know.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm on 10.8.4

Give me some time to do as you suggest. I have a house full of company just now.

Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
I start at my desktop with finder shown at the top of the screen. When I open a time machine by date - I am shown Desktop. How do I get to finder?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had time to do a bit of investigating. Under 10.7 and 10.8 the file you need is hidden normally so it is hidden in the Time Machine backup. Here's something that should "unhide" the file and restore a working copy:

1. While in the Finder (before entering Time Machine) go to the Go menu and choose "Go To Folder"
2. In the sheet that appears type ~/Library/Safari
3. Now launch Time Machine like you are going to restore a file.
4 You should see the same Safari folder in Time Machine that was selected before you opened Time Machine.
5. Use the tick marks on the right side to scroll back to a date where the bookmarks were present.
6. Click on the file Bookmarks.plist and choose Restore.

OP
T
Reaction score
GREAT - I right click on bookmarks.plist and the restore option sez: Restore "Bookmarks.plist" to..

I'm afraid to proceed. Where to I restore it "to" ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you click on Go you won't see a folder appear. The "Go" menu has an option near the bottom that says "Go To Folder". Choose that. A space will appear for you to enter a folder name type or paste in ~/Library/Safari

Once you have done this do the following:

1. Launch Time Machine like you are going to restore a file.
2. Use the tick marks on the right side to scroll back to a date where the bookmarks were present.
3. Click on the file Bookmarks.plist and choose Restore.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GREAT - I right click on bookmarks.plist and the restore option sez: Restore "Bookmarks.plist" to..

I'm afraid to proceed. Where to I restore it "to" ?

If you have launched Time Machine and see the tick marks don't right click. Simply click on the Bookmarks.plist file once and choose Restore. Time Machine will take care of the rest.

OP
T
Reaction score
WOW - that's slick. Obviously that is the first time I have tried restoring. As usual Apple has made it easy (if you know what you are doing).

Thanks. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.