Pages saving question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini: Core i7, Fusion drive
I just picked up my Mac mini from an Apple store and the first thing I did was download Pages. Is there a way to simultaneously save a pages document to both iCloud and the Mac? Or does it need to be duplicated every time an existing document is altered or a new one created?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The easiest way i find to keep them both up to date, is say you open the iCloud version, you do work, and you ⌘ S to save it. That will default save to iCloud as that is where you opened it. This goes for the document opened in Finder, ⌘ S will then save it back to the Documents folder in Finder.
What i do once i save it with the ⌘ S shortcut, is then to use the ⇧⌥⌘S Shortcut which is 'Save As' and then point it to either Documents or iCloud, depending on where you opened the document from.(The opposite of where you opened the document)
There is no need to make a duplicate, just a quick few keyboard shortcuts and your done.

HTH

C

chas_m

I just picked up my Mac mini from an Apple store and the first thing I did was download Pages. Is there a way to simultaneously save a pages document to both iCloud and the Mac?

Yes, you can.

All you need to do is save the file to Mobile Documents, which is located in your (hidden) user library. Anything put into Mobile Documents is automatically uploaded to iCloud.

It's kind of difficult to find the Mobile Documents folder, however, so I recommend doing the following:

1. In Finder, open the Go menu. Hold the Option key down and you'll see your Library (which is actually in Users/[your user name]/Library, but is normally hidden). Select it.

2. In your LIbrary you'll see Mobile Documents. Make an ALIAS of this (**DO NOT** move the actual folder, make an alias ONLY) by selecting it and then pressing command-L.

3. Place this alias anywhere you want. I suggest your home folder's Documents folder, but you could even put it on the desktop if you really want to.

Then just save Pages files to that alias, and they will also be available in iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes, you can.

All you need to do is save the file to Mobile Documents, which is located in your (hidden) user library. Anything put into Mobile Documents is automatically uploaded to iCloud.

It's kind of difficult to find the Mobile Documents folder, however, so I recommend doing the following:

1. In Finder, open the Go menu. Hold the Option key down and you'll see your Library (which is actually in Users/[your user name]/Library, but is normally hidden). Select it.

2. In your LIbrary you'll see Mobile Documents. Make an ALIAS of this (**DO NOT** move the actual folder, make an alias ONLY) by selecting it and then pressing command-L.

3. Place this alias anywhere you want. I suggest your home folder's Documents folder, but you could even put it on the desktop if you really want to.

Then just save Pages files to that alias, and they will also be available in iCloud.

Kudos mate, that makes more sense. I thought there a way, but didnt go searching. My way worked for me, now this will :)

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note, however, that the Mobile Documents folder is not just a "simple" folder but actually consists of many sub folders some of which are titled thus:

com~apple~mail

com~apple~pages

com~apple~preview

And so on. I'm not so sure you can just save a file to the folder without actually placing it in the correct sub folder. Perhaps chas can comment further on how to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note, however, that the Mobile Documents folder is not just a "simple" folder but actually consists of many sub folders some of which are titled thus:

com~apple~mail

com~apple~pages

com~apple~preview

And so on. I'm not so sure you can just save a file to the folder without actually placing it in the correct sub folder. Perhaps chas can comment further on how to do this.

Yes and the may others. This is why i ripped it off my Finder Sidebar, because i want my Documents saved in Documents not in a Hidden folder. Defeats the purpose of having my Documents folder in the first place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.