Burn mark on macbook pro?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finally opened on mid 2010 13" MBP for the first time to see if I need a tri-wing screwdriver or a phillips head (battery needs replacing). However I noticed which scared the crap out me. Anyone know exactly what is burnt out?

EvtpmLR.jpg

VD3mHi6.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you purchase this computer new or used?

I'm thinking that it could possibly be rust from a liquid spill. But if you've had this computer since new...and you know that you've had no liquid spills...then maybe it is a burn mark. Just hard to believe it could be a burn mark on that big of an area...and the computer still works...and no smoke (or strange odor) wasn't emitted when it happened.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Did you purchase this computer new or used?

I'm thinking that it could possibly be rust from a liquid spill. But if you've had this computer since new...and you know that you've had no liquid spills...then maybe it is a burn mark. Just hard to believe it could be a burn mark on that big of an area...and the computer still works...and no smoke (or strange odor) wasn't emitted when it happened.

- Nick

I purchased it new. I haven't spilled any drinks on it. I'm stumped to be perfectly honest. The laptop has rarely left my desk! It still works perfectly fine, no issues other than my battery. Would the magsafe charger have anything to do it with? The connector gets a bit hot when charging.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't double post. 2nd thread was removed.

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm with Nick on this one. It looks more like corrosion rather than a burn mark. If an area that large were to burn or overheat to cause that much discoloring, you would have smelled it across your house. If you rub your finger across the discoloration, does any of it come off on your finger?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased it new. I haven't spilled any drinks on it. I'm stumped to be perfectly honest. The laptop has rarely left my desk! It still works perfectly fine, no issues other than my battery. Would the magsafe charger have anything to do it with? The connector gets a bit hot when charging.

What does the bottom panel you removed look like? Are there any marks on the bottom panel opposite where the burn mark is on the logic board (burn marks or smoke marks)?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Please don't double post. 2nd thread was removed.

Thanks,

- Nick
Apologies. The site was laggy when I made my last post.

I'm with Nick on this one. It looks more like corrosion rather than a burn mark. If an area that large were to burn or overheat to cause that much discoloring, you would have smelled it across your house. If you rub your finger across the discoloration, does any of it come off on your finger?

I was afraid to touch to be perfectly honest. I will try this later and give you up and update.

What does the bottom panel you removed look like? Are there any marks on the bottom panel opposite where the burn mark is on the logic board (burn marks or smoke marks)?

- Nick

Nope, nothing but dust!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am worried that the rust will get worse or spread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I've seen that discolouration on quite a few MacBook Pro's that are functioning normally, it's quite common. I wouldn't worry about it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for that Steve. What causes it, do you know?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If techiesteve is correct (just discoloration)...it could be oxidation of some sort.

Also...my wife does stained glass (lots of soldering)...and I've done some...and sometimes you can get some strange colors when soldering (brown, blue, rainbow effect). Especially if too much flux is used.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, nothing but dust!

This is a good thing. If the cover that was removed showed burn marks or smoke marks/trails...then we could theorize that something may have shorted out at one time. No marks...no shorting.:)

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am worried that the rust will get worse or spread

Nah...it's not going to spread. It's not like it's a bacteria or a virus.;)

If it ain't broke...don't fix it!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If techiesteve is correct (just discoloration)...it could be oxidation of some sort.

I've no idea what causes it, but I see it a lot. If I had to guess, I'd go with oxidation as above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.