Hard Drive "Tocking" noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM
Hi all!

Today I attempted to start my computer and was met with a blank grey screen and a "tocking" noise. It would tock about 3-4 times, whir a little bit like it normally does, stop whirring, then tock again. Tocking sound occurs in ~ half second intervals and is easily audible. I cycled the power and it was able to start up fine. This has happened to me once before when awaking the computer from sleep.

System specs are as follows:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4

Hard Drive:
Disk Description : WDC WD2500JS-40TGB0 Media
Total Capacity : 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : SATA
Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal

I'm running OSX 10.6.8.

I suspect that this indicative of imminent hard drive failure, which considering that it's been chugging along for the last 7 years does not surprise me. I went ahead and backed the whole thing up onto an external just to be safe.

My question is:
Am I right? Is the thing on its last legs? If so, can I replace it easily? I'm comfortable doing simple to intermediate removal/replacement stuff. Pretty much anything short of soldering new components in. Can I put an SSD drive into it?

Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, and links to relevant information would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
-Will

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.