Movie transfers

Reaction score
How can i transfer a movie downloaded from the internet and now sitting in my downloads file on my imac, to itunes so that i can watch it through airplay on my tv? Can someone please help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Assuming the movie is in a format that iTunes understands try the following:

1. Launch iTunes
2. From the File menu choose Add to Library
3 Select the file in the dialog that appears and click Ok

If you have iTunes preferences set to copy files to the iTunes media folder you're done. If you don't have it set that way copy the movie file somewhere else before adding it to the Library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
If it was downloaded from the internet, it's most likely a .mp4 file which is supported by Apple TV. You can check the file format by right clicking (or ctrl click) on the file and select "get info". Next to "kind", it should say "MPEG-4 movie".

C

chas_m

If it was downloaded from the internet, it's most likely a .mp4 file which is supported by Apple TV.

If it's downloaded from iTunes or YouTube/Vimeo/et al, it's in MP4 format. Movies from other sites are mostly in AVI format for no reason I can figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.