ibook or imac for my wife/home unit

Reaction score
Hey all. My wife saw her first ibook today and loved it. Now she wants the 12" ibook rather than the 20" imac that I wanted. I can't really tell her no since I'm getting a powerbook myself. She will only use it for email, internet, photo storage/viewing, and music. Is the 12" ibook a good buy for just doing that stuff. She wants the wireless portablity. Any help on the ibook would be great since I know nothing of it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the only thing i can sugest is to get a large external hard drive if you get teh ibook. i thought 30gb would be big enough for my ibook, but i am down to the last gb on mine. i know they come with bigger, so i suggest getting the bigger hdd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
VeritasCCT said:
Hey all. My wife saw her first ibook today and loved it. Now she wants the 12" ibook rather than the 20" imac that I wanted. I can't really tell her no since I'm getting a powerbook myself. She will only use it for email, internet, photo storage/viewing, and music. Is the 12" ibook a good buy for just doing that stuff. She wants the wireless portablity. Any help on the ibook would be great since I know nothing of it. Thanks.

My workbuddy got his wife the 12" iBook for her teaching job - they BOTH love it. It's very portable and will EASILY do everything you noted. I think the iBook comes 512MB RAM standard, so I think you'll be good to go. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
I got 80gig on my 12" iBook... I recommend you upgrade the disk space as soon as possible. I've used over 40gb already.

K

KLank

The iBook will do what she wants with no issues. But I know if it was me, I'd wait for the new Intel laptop.

Reaction score
the intel laptop is out now.. but i still woudlnt do it. i'd wait for at least a year before they got that fully running.. all the universal software is up to date

the hd on the ibooks need to be updated. way too small

Reaction score
i really consider the macbook pro the upgrade to the ibook..

the powerbook should have something bigger and greater..

Y

yuwing

40gigs (standard) is enough for just music and photos. c'mon guys be reaosnable here >_>

not need to dish out extra $$$ for harddrive that's not used.

unless u download shows/movies/tons of mp3s (thousands of albums), there's no need for over 40gigs.

i wouldn'lt recommend downloading too much or too long on ibook (esp if you use bittorent). it ruins harddrives due to heat and activity. i've had to replace harddrive once due to BT.

but that's just my warning and opinion, take it as you will.

but keep in mind, i'd rather not spend extra money on things that's not needed in the firstplace. if you relaly need more than 40gigs of HDD, then sure enough, go get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33 512ram 60gb Superdrive Apple bluetooth mouse
Go with the ibook and airport express. We use ours all over the house and even out on the deck in nice weather. I would also reccomment the Apple wireless mouse when you ane doing some intense work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.