Macbook screen and hinges question

Reaction score
Hello,

First off thank you for taking your time and reading my post and any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I have a late 2008 Macbook unibody. The last couple years I have started have issues with it. The big issue is that the screen is a bit wobbly and then I lose my picture on my screen. I get like pixelated lines across the screen and just a bunch of lines across the screen. When this happens it doesn't let me move the on screen arrow. To combat this issue I have to hold the screen and apply pressure by pushing on the back with my hand and using my thumb to pinch the corner.

I just finished school, so I'm young and have a basic understanding of technology and computers. However, I do not know about computers in depth or specifically about Macbooks.

I'm thinking about buying a cheap tool kit with the correct tools to open the Macbook on Amazon. I was planning on tightening the screws and make sure the screen has a good connection. However, that is as far as I know what to do. I don't know if I would have to replace anything...

Please help. I'm starting a job at a school and may think about buying a new Macbook (but money is tight with loans), but would still like to use the one I currently have also. Not sure if I should try waiting a month or two and just spend the money since my computer burns hot and fan is mostly always on and the battery is also shot (but don't want to spend the money for a new one at this time).

Thank you for your time

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's some info I posted a couple months ago regarding tightening up the hinges on a Unibody MacBook Pro:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...tening-up-loose-unibody-notebook-display.html

I posted this...since there is not that much info out there on how to do this.

You have a 2008 Unibody MacBook...and so tightening the loose hinges may be somewhat different (or it could be very similar)...but the concept should be fairly similar (screw locations, parts that need to be removed for access, etc.).

I should also mention that I'm assuming that you are correctly identifying your computer as a 2008 Unibody MacBook. This was the only generation of MacBooks that was in an aluminum body...versus the more common white polycarbonate body.

Lastly regarding the video issues. The video cable that runs from the logic board area to the display area (crossing over & thru the hinge area)...may be getting pinched or rubbed...and at this point may be damaged & needs to be replaced.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for the post and info. Yes my computer is the aluminum body. I just purchased a tool set with the correct pieces and will attempt to tighten the screen and look at the video cable. That would make sense about the video cable, but wasn't able to find issues regarding the video cable when I was initially researching.

Thanks for the helpful comments

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please post what you find & any results.

Good Luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.