Apple TV - iTunes Sharing Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi everyone,

Having some teething problems with my Apple TV (2nd Gen) using home sharing from the PC hosting the iTunes library.

Its been sitting unused for quite sometime, however, it has now been fully updated to the latest firmware (v5.3) and the iTunes on the PC is (v11.0.4.4) also the latest.

The PC is running Win 8 Pro, connected to the wireless router via Wi-Fi as is the Apple TV. Home sharing is enabled on both devices and does appear to work. Both devices have full signal also.

The problem occurs after for example a few songs, the first 3 or 4 will play fine and then it will just sit and buffer the next one and never load. The only way to fix this is to restart iTunes on the PC which isn't practical.

I've re-installed iTunes, reset the Apple TV, restarted the router and still the same!?

Streaming cloud purchases and movie trailers etc. works flawlessly, it's just when trying to connect to the PC library where it trips up however, this is the most accessed location.

If you could please shed any light on this it would be much, much appreciated!

Thanks,
Martin

EDIT: Just to add, I can switch iTunes to play the music to the Apple TV which always seems to work which makes the connection issue even more confusing!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? That does make it confusing.

Only thing I can think of is that the Win machine is going to sleep / doesn't have a wake on lan setting maybe (maybe a 10-15 minute setting to go to sleep) and it's not recognizing when using it as a server that it's in use and going to sleep which doesn't happen if you're playing directly from iTunes.

Try changing the settings for it to never go to sleep - just put the monitor to sleep and see if that helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
?? That does make it confusing.

Only thing I can think of is that the Win machine is going to sleep / doesn't have a wake on lan setting maybe (maybe a 10-15 minute setting to go to sleep) and it's not recognizing when using it as a server that it's in use and going to sleep which doesn't happen if you're playing directly from iTunes.

Try changing the settings for it to never go to sleep - just put the monitor to sleep and see if that helps.

The PC is set to never sleep, only the monitor will switch off after 1hour.

However, after doing some searching, I found a huge thread on the Apple Discussion Forums where several people are having issues with the ATV2 / 3 over home sharing. I tried some of the ideas, locking down IP addresses, choosing one channel for the Wi-Fi etc... However, I think I may have found the one that worked. Seems to work like it did a while back now - fingers crossed it lasts.

I uninstalled Bonjour v.3 and downloaded/installed the older v.2 and it seems to work perfectly. I gave it a good 30 mins of thrashing and it worked great. Only lasted 5 mins before.

I'll update this thread if it doesn't last!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good digging there marty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.