Another "read only" thread

Reaction score
Hey there, I recently purchased a mac mini to set up as a media server. It has all been working well up until now, I currently have a 3TB external HDD that I keep the media for it on, I use my laptop to download and put on the HDD and then plug it into the mac through the thunderbolt.

I recently threw a heap of media onto it and went to edit info in itunes as I group it all by genre, as thats what the apple tv's like and it wont let me edit the info on any of the new movies, they are all set to read only through the mac on the HDD, but they are all open when on the pc. Whats going on here?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It sounds like the hard drive may be formatted as NTFS which is used for Windows. Without third party software the Mini can read the drive but not write new information to it.

Here's how tp check the formatting.
1. With the drive plugged into the Mini and showing in Finder select it and choose Get Info from the Finder File menu.
2. Look in the section marked General and see what the format setting says.

Post back and let us know the results.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just got round to checking and yep, you were right. I thought I'd set it to fat32, ahwell. I think if I put them in itunes on the laptop and edit their info first, the mac should pick them up!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that explained the problem. I think that will work for editing the info since it won't be edited on the Mac. There is third party software that would let the Mac write to NTFS drives. The best of the bunch seems to be Paragon Software for Mac - NTFS for Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.