Cut a file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone5, iPad2, iPod Classic
When I select a file in Finder, the "cut" is grayed out in the Edit drop-down list, Command+X doesn't do anything, and right-clicking on the file doesn't show any "cut".

How do I cut a file?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By "cut" what exactly do you want to do with the file? Do you want to remove it and paste it elsewhere? If that's what your intended action is, just select the file or highlight it and then press command + c. To paste it somewhere else, use command + v. After it has been pasted, you can go back and delete it from its original location.

If by "cut" you're referring to deleting the file, just select it and then click on the trash icon in the Finder menu bar.

(Note: It is not recommended to "move" a file because of the danger of losing it in case the move doesn't work.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When I select a file in Finder, the "cut" is grayed out in the Edit drop-down list, Command+X doesn't do anything, and right-clicking on the file doesn't show any "cut".

How do I cut a file?

You don't. It's that way for all Macs. It's grayed out because it isn't supported in Finder.

OP
ohsix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I guess I'll continue to drag a file that I want to move, first to the desktop, then drag it into the Finder folder (almost always some sub-folder) where I really want it to be.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dragging a file between multiple folders in Finder on your HD will always move it to the final location. No need to do the Cut and Paste of the file itself. If you wanted to copy, you would do the same dragging while holding down the OPTION key.

Also, you don't need to drag to desktop and to the final location. If you are copying a file between two folders in your Home directory for example. Start in the directory that contains your file, click and hold and then drag the file over and hover over your name in the sidebar. Continue to hold the button down, the Finder window will now change to show you all the directories in your Home directory. Now choose a destination folder there or the parent, and you will go inside, and if you want to go further deeper into the structure, continue hovering on more folder names and more Finder windows will appear for each directory. When you've finally reached your destination, release the mouse and the file has been moved. If you had kept the OPTION key pressed during this, the file is just copied over and is now present in both the source and destination folders..

Once the Move/Copy action is completed, all of the Finder windows that appeared during your action will disappear and you will go back to your source directory.

OP
ohsix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works great! A very good explanation. Helps a lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For what it's worth, I've been cutting and pasting files first with FileCutter and now with TotalFinder for years and have never had a problem. This is one of those old Windows habits that I've just never let go of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.