deleting a windows partition

Reaction score
I bought a used mid 2007 white macbook. It has a 2 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, the start up disk is Untitled. It has Lion 10.7.5 installed. The owner that had it before me installed Lion, but did not do a clean install.
I wanted to do an experiment and install windows xp in a separate partition. I opened up bootcamp to start the process. When bootcamp opened, I clicked continue and in the next window I got the message that my disk could not be partitioned.
Then I shut down my computer and restarted it holding the option key. I discovered that there are two start up things, one untitled ( Lion) and one Windows.
When I clicked the windows thing, it booted but I got the message "missing operating system"
I need to know how to delete entirely the windows thing and get back the hard drive to where I can install XP.
I do not have a Lion thumb drive to wipe the disk and reinstall Lion. What should I do?
The computer did not come with the original install disks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.

OP
O
Reaction score
deleting a windows partition Reply to Thread

Use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.

I dont know how to do that. I just want to get rid of the windows entirely without loosing Lion.
I've only been using Macs for about a year, the first one I had was a new 13 inch 2011air which got water damaged so I bought this one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Start the Boot Camp assistant. Select create partition, then select restore. You'll receive a warning regarding that all data on the Windows (Boot Camp) partition will be lost. Press OK, apply.

You had to use the Boot Camp assistant to create the partition in the first place, so you should be familiar with how to use it.

OP
O
Reaction score

Start the Boot Camp assistant. Select create partition, then select restore. You'll receive a warning regarding that all data on the Windows (Boot Camp) partition will be lost. Press OK, apply.

You had to use the Boot Camp assistant to create the partition in the first place, so you should be familiar with how to use it.

I opened up Boot Camp Assistant and clicked continue and a window popped open that states: " The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
Back up the disk and use disk utility to format it as a single mac os extended (journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."
I quit BCA and opened up disk utility and had a choice of two things, the top choice is called 120.03 GB ST9120822A... The second choice is called untitled, I assume that is where my Lion OS is located.
I clicked the first choice and all the buttons are greyed out. I clicked Partition, and there is a single partition and I clicked that button and and I had a choice of different numbers of partitions. I put it back to the current partition and left it alone.
The Partition Information is: Name: Untitled. Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled). Size:120.03 GB
The information below that is as follows: " To erase and partition the selected disk, choose a layout from the Partition layout from the Partition Layout pop-up menu, set options for each partition, and click apply. You can't resize the partitions on this disk because it uses the Master Boot Record partition scheme. This is the startup partition. You can't erase it"
All the buttons are greyed out.
I clicked the second choice and Followed the directions and clicked " Verify Disk" In the box it stated " verifying volume "Untitled". After it finished verifying the disk I got the message in green " The volume untitled appears to be OK"
I clicked Verify Disk Permissions and it started. I got the message:" Warning SUID file "System/Library/Core...s been modified and will not be repaired." I let it run its course and got hundreds of messages that stated :"Permissions differ on "System/Library/M...should be... they are..."
After 22 minutes I clicked "Repair Disk Permissions" and let that run its course.
After that finished, I closed everything and restarted my computer and tried everything mentioned above again. When I clicked Verify Disk Permissions I got the same warning.
So what should I do? I'm thinking about taking it to a Mac repair place where I live and have them see what they can do to get my system back the way it should be.
I'm also thinking of purchasing a Lion thumb drive and try to wipe my disk and reinstall Lion. I just want that confounded empty windows OS gone.
Thank you for your help.

OP
O
Reaction score
By the way, I decided not to install XP, it seems more trouble than it's worth. I like the Mac system a lot better than windows, everything is more convenient and easy to work with than on a windows machine.

OP
O
Reaction score

Also, I did not install the windows OS and then delete it resulting in an empty OS, when I bought the used MB it arrived as described, with Lion and the empty windows OS installed.
Whoever owned it before I did, messed with everything and now I have to get it fixed.
Other than that, Lion works perfectly. Too bad I can't upgrade to ML and then Mavericks when it comes out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take a screen shot of Disk Utility and post it here.

Cmd shift 4 to take a shot of the DU window.
To post it, hit the 'Go Advanced' button below the reply box and scroll down to manage attachments.

OP
O
Reaction score
I tried logging in on my mac, but when I entered my user name and pass word firefox directed me to a blank page!!! I'm using my windows machine to write this, Because of that I am not able to give you a screen shot from my mac.
So my question is, should I order a Lion thumb drive, wipe my disk from the install thumb drive and then do a clean install of Lion? That should take care of the whole problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hit the refresh button on the browser &/or try another browser.
We've had that issue with the forum on occasion here lately - hitting the refresh button and sometimes even just scrolling causes the page to come up.

Don't even know if you can order 10.7.
I know you can't get it without a phone call unless you have purchased it with your Apple ID as it is not available online except through your purchases.

OP
O
Reaction score
OP
O
Reaction score
I dont trust the digital down load that is offered, because as far as I know Apple is no longer offering any digital down loads from the Apple store.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Apple discontinued it when ML was released.

Legally wise - don't know. Would go with one of the Apple flash drives if you get one rather than the ripped to DVD copies - it was never sold on DVD. And the flash drives may not work if it is a drive that shipped with a specific Mac rather than the retail copy.

Several of the reviewers noted that you can buy it direct from Apple for $20 by calling them at 1-800-MYAPPLE.
Would try that first.

OP
O
Reaction score
OK thanks, I'll try calling Apple first and see if I can order it from them. I didn't know the thumb drives were machine specific.
A few months ago I ordered a retail copy of SL from the 1800 number and they processed my order over the phone and in a few days I had my copy of SL and installed it on a 2006 17 inch MBP I got from PowerMax. It was great till I stupidly spilled several large drops of water on the track pad. But thats another story.

OP
O
Reaction score
Do the thumb drives have the ability to do a clean install of Lion? I would rather wipe my disk and start over fresh.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I was reading in the reviews - sounds like, you pay your $20 and then an hour or so later they email you a download link for it.

edit, yes
After you download the file - before you install it, grab a thumb drive (need an 8 GB minimum), download Lion Diskmaker and use it to create a bootable installation disk.

OP
O
Reaction score
This is getting very complicated, I wish Apple had not discontinued the online download of Lion, I would just down load it and do a clean install. I still have the SL disk, I tried booting from the disk, but for some reason it will boot into the disk and then I have the spinning wheel forever and nothing happens.
Should I just install a new HD and then install Lion from the thumb drive if I can get a legit one from Apple?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
???

Don't see anything hard about it, although, it is a pita. You're telling us the current install of 10.7 is working just fine.
But, you want to do a clean install and have your own copy of 10.7.
Call Apple, pay the $20 for it, download it, get a 8 GB flash drive - also available from amazon if you don't have one for under $10 and create you own bootable copy of 10.7 for half the price of the flash drives with it already preinstalled and you'll have a copy you know for sure is your legitimate copy from Apple. 30 minutes work and you've saved $30-$40.

OP
O
Reaction score
Its hard for me because I dont know anything about making bootable copies of an OS, never tried to do it before.
Can't I just install a new HD and then install Lion from the thumb drive? I just want to get rid of that annoying empty windows OS that the previous owner installed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then just try rebooting the machine with one of the following methods:

A) holding down the CMD and C keys
B) holding down the CMD and R keys
C) from the Snow Leopard disk

Go to Disk Utility
Highlight the drive in the sidebar
Go to the Partitions tab
Highlight the Windows partition
Click the minus sign underneath.

Once that is done, you can go back into DU, drag the bottom right corner of the OS X partition down to fill the entire drive.

pic 2013-08-11 at 8.15.24 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.