Trouble installing OS on 2010 MBP 13"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Macbook, 2009 Macbook Pro. All pretty standard, nothing too fancy.
I have a 2010 MBP 13" that blacked out on me. I pulled the HD to transfer my old data, wiped it clean, then reinstalled the HD. I replaced the logic board and now it turns on again. When on, the screen shows the blinking folder with a question mark.

I attempted to use the 10.6.3 dvd to reinstall the software. The computer never asked me for any input when I started the computer with the disk in it, and the disk ran for around 20 minutes, making disk drive noises as if it was working. All the while the screen showed an apple logo above a "loading" symbol that looked similar to the beach ball symbol. Is this normal when you put in an OS dvd? I never saw any screen that looked like the apple software that I'm used to, I didn't have a curser to move or any control of the computer's operation (other than the power button). After the disk stopped spinning for at least ten minutes I turned the computer off, removed the disk, and when I restarted the computer the blinking folder with a question mark reappeared, no software was installed to my knowledge. The computer was bought refurbished and the disk included was a "Machine Specific OS Disk" that may or may not have been specific to my actual computer. There is no indication on the disc whether or not it is the correct disc for my computer. However, I was never shown any indications to the tune of "this software cannot be installed on this computer," or "this disc is not compatible," I only saw what I described above.

I used the Apple hardware test dvd and performed the quick test and the long test, and both tests said my computer is healthy. Do these tests test the hard drive I wonder?

I also tried to boot using the external HD time machine from this computer that was backed up from pre-blackout days. I've never done this before, and I was just assuming it could work. I used the startup key sequence Option-Command-Shift-Delete, but it resulted in the blinking folder with a question mark, again.

Last, I did the startup key sequence holding the option key, and it brought me to a gray screen that had a movable curser on it, but I had no other control.

Any thoughts??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Time Machine backups are not bootable so you can put that away. Also, if the DVD you have is not the correct one for your machine, it may in fact act exactly as you described.

It may be best to order a retail Snow Leopard DVD from Apple for $19.99. That way, you will be sure that it will work. How's the condition of your optical drive? That could also be a reason the disk would not load. You might try blowing out the drive with a can of compressed air. Give it a couple of short blasts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, thank you, I will go ahead and order the DVD. Considering that the hardware test DVD worked well, I'm thinking the optical drive is ok.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The retail Snow Leopard disk installed perfectly, thanks chscag!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.