shy external hard drive hides on me??

Reaction score
When ever I go to my computer after it has been on for a period of time my external hard drive is no longer on my desktop. I need to go to disk utility to mount it again. Does anyone know why it "dismounts" every time I go away from my Mac, and how to fix it? have I somehow insulted it? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which hard drive do you have? Certain external hard drives have been known to go to sleep and will dismount. They have to be wakened before they'll mount and appear on the desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was thinking the same thing as chscag. The external HD is probably spinning down...and going to "sleep". Then after things have been idle for a while...it needs to be remounted (just as if the computer was shut off completely).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
is there any way to keep it awake?

Go to System Preferences...and check the settings there.

But if this is an external HD that is USB powered (powered by the computers USB ports)...then when the computer goes to sleep...anything powered via the computers USB ports will go to sleep as well.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check with Western Digital to see if there is a firmware update available for the drive. It really doesn't make any difference if it's AC powered or bus powered. Your Mac can still put it to sleep or the drive itself may be spinning down or timing out after a certain duration of non use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.