screen goes BLACK after a wake-up

Reaction score
I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13 inch. 10.8.4
Every so often when I open the lid to wake the MacBook from sleep (or without a lid on) it wakes momentarily, then the screen goes BLACK in like 2 or 3 seconds.
I have to wait for several seconds more and then i press a random button and the screen is resumed.. Any ideas on how to fix this? and do you think if it is a serious issue?

p.s.
i have read online that it might be caused by internet sharing but i am having it off

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked your power saver settings in System Preferences, Energy Saver? If you have display sleep for example set too low (1 minute) that can happen.

Also check System Preferences, Desktop & Screen Saver, "Hot Corners" box at the bottom of the dialog. If you have a hot corner set and you wake up your MBP and your mouse just happens to be at that hot corner, it will put the display back to sleep immediately. I had that happen to me several times before I realized the hot corner was the problem. I have since removed the hot corners.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you checked your power saver settings in System Preferences, Energy Saver? If you have display sleep for example set too low (1 minute) that can happen.

Also check System Preferences, Desktop & Screen Saver, "Hot Corners" box at the bottom of the dialog. If you have a hot corner set and you wake up your MBP and your mouse just happens to be at that hot corner, it will put the display back to sleep immediately. I had that happen to me several times before I realized the hot corner was the problem. I have since removed the hot corners.

first of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to answer my thread, here is the way it is set
http://i.imgur.com/Z2eTG9X.png
so you think it might be due to the fact that I set d.sleep after a minute`s time (and that black-out thing happens while running on BATTERY), because as the second pic indicates that very `hot corners` box is clearly unchecked and i haven`t payed any attention to it up to this moment
http://i.imgur.com/vLKljPT.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it appears because you have display sleep set for 1 minute may be the reason the display is blacking out or actually going back to sleep after the machine wakes up. Try resetting it to something a bit more practical. I have mine set for 15 minutes of inactivity. Let's see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't, that may indicate a problem that Apple may have to look into.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, it appears because you have display sleep set for 1 minute may be the reason the display is blacking out or actually going back to sleep after the machine wakes up. Try resetting it to something a bit more practical. I have mine set for 15 minutes of inactivity. Let's see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't, that may indicate a problem that Apple may have to look into.

thanks, will do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.