Photo booth black screen

Reaction score
Hello!

First post here. :)

When I start Photo Booth, my MacBook Pro (about three years old) just goes to a black screen. The webcam light is still on, and I can hear the fan running, but I can't shut the program down or do anything other than a forced shut down.

Your insight is very welcome.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Test your camera again by starting the Facetime.app which you should have on your MBP. If the camera turns on and you see yourself, then it's working OK and the problem could be with the Photo Booth.app. Let us know and we can go from there.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The cam definitely works. I don't have Facetime, but I launched Photo Booth and it worked. It doesn't do it always, but does it a lot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was going to suggest running the Apple Hardware Test but you fail to tell us which version of OS X you're using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple Hardware Test is on disk 2 of the Snow Leopard set. How to run the Apple Hardware Test. Be sure to read the KB article all the way through.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.